Squeeky suspension?

Last fall my 2000 Golf was squeeking on turns. It stopped before I got around to doing anything about it. Now it is back, probably worse. Could it have something to do with temperature?

When I last had it in for service the mechanic said they usually replace shocks at 50k, and since I had 65k, I was way past due.

Does that make sense? Is the squeek due to worn out shocks? The car handles normally enough.

Reply to
toller

Shocks at 50k?? How bad are the roads where you live? I'm in Southern Ontario and they get pretty beaten up from the extremes of hot and cold we get (+40 to - 40 Celsius takes its toll on anything and everything here) plus the amount of trucking that takes place everywhere (Industrial centre of Canada) - I replaced my shocks at 100K Kms just because I wanted something stiffer, the original shocks were still in good shape - I don't take it easy on my car either, 80-90kph on rough back roads, 60-80kph on dirt roads through all sorts of ruts and depressions, I carry quite a bit of weight from time to time too... I've only replaced one set of worn out tie rods, and my car tracks straight :-).

Squeak could be a part of the car rubbing against another part (dash plastics, leather on leather, something in the trunk) - I get a loud bang from my back right over certain bumps, that I have yet to figure out why it does it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Around my part of the USA shock last over 100,000 miles before needing replacment. Common squeak is the front sway bar bushings.

Reply to
Woodchuck

a lower control arm bush or anti-roll bar buch would be my guess, but it could just as easily be something silly like the door rubber or the seat!

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Do these require immediate attention, or are they just annoying?

The car handles exactly as it always has, so I had doubts about the shock theory/

Reply to
toller

if they are just squeaking, then i think you can just turn the stereo up.

if they have started splitting, falling apart etc, then best replaced. should be checked at a service (any decent m,echanic will check this kinda stuff) and is definaely part of the mot

Reply to
Nathan Lucas