srange occurance(answers?)

i was driving my wifes 2000 V6 passat wagon w/tiptronic on the highway w/ the cruise control on about 15 mins. into the trip and the vechicle made a strong shudder/lurch like i hit something but i didnt and it lost complete power (eng.and ign.) everything went dead and i coasted off to the shoulder and stopped,it started right back up and didnt lose the serpentine belt or anything that i could see wrong.my wife said i must have accidently hit the shift lever into neutral,...would that cause that to happen and would that cause that to occur?or is there something else that might do that,.im stumped .never did it before or after that happened today.never had a vechicle that ever did that either before..any ideas would be appreciated..........thanks in advance

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

no ,im not on of those idiots that ride on the brake pedal,.and if you read my message it said i lost all power,.ign. and eng,everything was dead ,no idle .no electric.nothing ,nada,zilch,still stumped ,and waiting for a knowlegeable answer

Reply to
RLGIRSCH

This happened to me in my dad's 1993 Volvo 960... I was going for the sunroof button (its obstructed from view by the steering wheel, and close to the ignition switch) and the car suddenly lost all power... Turns out I slightly nudged the key, and the car switched itself off..... kinda scary doing 135kph with the cruise on. I checked the position of the key, right in between position I and II.

..... If your passat is anything like my Golf tho, there is nothing near the ignition swtich tho.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

This probably doesn't pertain to you since you have a newer car. But I've managed to do that once or twice in my 91 Jetta. It's always when I forget to tighten the battery terminal back down. And sometimes it can be months later after I've been driving on the road for a few hours. It works itself loose. The first to go is the radio, every other bump it shuts off, then the whole car starts to do it. First time freaked the hell out of me because I thought I broke something. After I found a loose battery terminal it's always a 10 second fix where ever I am.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

Whoa! Take it easy. Woodchuck is among the most knowledgeable you'll find in this group. Your reply post sounds condescending and won't win you favor for future help.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

I just remembered a really weird situation that my wife had while driving my New Beetle about a year ago. She called from the side of the highway telling me she was out of gas. When I arrive to pick her up, I jumped in the Beetle and turn the key and PRESTO, it starts just fine. It was low on gas but certainly wasn't out. We drove 4 miles the the gas station and filled it up and the problem never recurred. This is similar to your situation, but I don't know if all the electrical died... maybe yours will never return. Also, it's unfortunate that it will be *very* difficult to track down the issue when it won't occur on a regular basis.

Good luck and please let us know what you find.

TOE

Reply to
TOE

When my Pontiac was brand new in 1996 (a week old or so), I let it run low on gas once. I made a sharp fairly fast left turn in a parking lot and foop! The engine cut out. But it started up fine again and I drove to a gas station and filled it up. Never happened again. I guess the turn sloshed the gas away from the pickup and starved the engine. Could this be what happened with your wife's New Beetle?

Reply to
4Motion