Start again.. loss of coolant

Sorry for being dim I'm not only learning about cars.. ;-)

I asked before about a burning smell, now I think that's the clutch so scratch that..

My problem is I've had constant coolant level and marginal oil consumption for years. I lent my car out for one day and both dropped below minimum. I just hope the coolant isn't in the oil. Could somebody look at the following pictures and say if they look OK for synthetic oil, or does the chocolate colour suggest contamination?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

nothing wrong with that other than it looks like the oil cap seal is leaking, or your friend added oil and spilt some.

But I'm sure someone will say you need a headgasket.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

It really sounds to me like your 'friend' beat the living daylights out of your car. We're talking about something like racing it hard, really hard, or doing deliberate to damage it.

I agree, the smell is probably the clutch. This can be caused by his inability to drive a manual shift car. Or it could have been caused by deliberate (or perhaps inadvertent) abuse.

As to the loss of oil and coolant: oil loss implies that the engine was pushed to high RPMs perhaps, which can increase oil consumption both temporarily (excessive oil past the rings) and sometimes permanently (damaged valve seals).

Low coolant implies that perhaps the engine was also overheated.

I'd recommend that you (I'm sure you have already...) bring both up to spec, and drive a few hundred miles (or KM). Recheck both frequently until you see that either it is no longer using too much of either (and you are really lucky) or that you can estimate how much yuo are now loosing (not so lucky).

And as to that 'friend'... With friends like that you don't need enemies!!!

(And don't lend your car in the future!)

Reply to
PeterD

Good, thanks. There is some oil there, I wonder if the valve cover/gasket is leaking a little.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Thanks Peter. No I will not be lending out the car in the future, but I trust the person not to intentionally treat it rough, and he has owned three Golfs in the past - all manuals.

It's driving OK so I'll assume no problem unless the levels persistently drop.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Reply to
none2u

Yep,just keep watching it. That's what I'd do.

Reply to
PeterD

Three questions:

a) When the engine is dead-cold, and you release the coolant cap, do you get a *POP*? b) When you are done with a moderately long drive (that is, the engine reached full operating temperature for at least 10 minutes), put the car in the garage and allow to get cold as above (overnight). When you remove the oil-fill cap, is there any grey/white/pale-brown foamy sludge on the cap... about the consistency of warm vaseline? c) What does your temperature gauge do? Does it cycle between hot and cold rapidly?

If yes to the first, you have either a blown head-gasket or a cracked head. Either way, some oil and coolant may be being blown out your exhaust.

If yes to the second, you are getting coolant into your oil via some mechanism which then reacts with the oil to form the sludge. This last test must be done only after the engine has been run at full operating temperature for sufficient time to clear all the natural condensate from cold starting out of the oil. So do not be overly alarmed if you see such sludge after a series of short trips with the engine cooling between each one. "False Positives" are common.

Lastly, it could be that your thermostat is malfunctioning. If your engine is running cold, fuel consumption will increase greatly. If the stat is short-cycling, then excess pressure will build in the engine loop, blow-off coolant and so forth. The engine will overheat a bit and use excess oil, then cool suddenly when the stat does open. All of it simply *not good*.

If "NO" to all of the above, then fill to nominal levels and keep a real eye on it. Betcha your friend drove at very high speed at something of a load. Oil consumption is logarithmic... the first bit takes a long time to use, the second bit much less, and so forth as less and less oil is in the sump to handle heat and wear.

But in a complete vacuum, from a distance, not seeing the car and given its approximate age and condition... I lean to the T-Stat.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Hi Peter,

Will check a) and b) tomorrow.. need to let the car cool.

As for c), the coolant temp guage behaves as it always has. It rises to central as the car warms up, then stays dead-on until the car cools down. Never seen it do anything but this (but of course I wasn't present when he drove it).

I wonder, if he drove the engine hard, could he consume oil to the point where the engine overheats, then coolant boils over and spews from the globe. Is this a possible scenerio? There's some dried dribble down the side of it, but that could be due to bad aim when filling. Or what if the fan isn't working? In either case, I suppose a warning light should come on..

Thx, Paul

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

No _obvious_ popping sound.

No _obvious_ sludge or foam either.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

Good! If you go a week of normal driving with normal results, likely you experienced an anomaly....

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I see a spot of green under the radiator, and I'm waiting for warmer weather to see if the fan comes on, but so far so good..

Thx again

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Signal

If that is a regular thing, keep cats and dogs away from it or put some sort of absorbent down. Antifreeze is attractive to both... and deadly. But you knew that already. But, as you suggest... so far...

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I have heard that. Now you mention it, my cat has for some time had the occasional sniffle around the front end. I thought he might be after the remnants of a rabbit (..which I sadly dragged under the front for 100 metres) but... well this is all starting to make sense. The coolant hasn't visibly dropped before, but when it comes to trace leaks I guess his nose is more precise than my eyes. :-)

OK I'll put something down..

Yep, so far...

So.. is this sealant stuff any good?

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t