Starter not functioning with key, 91 Passat 16V auto

I repaired the starter interlock relay (1 bad solder joint), but the relay will still not function unless the Transmission Control Unit is unplugged. Terminals #1 and #7 at the Starter Interlock Relay lose ground when the ign is on.

It also seems like the trans is in limp mode and my VAG tool will not connect to the Digimat unit like it will with my 91 Passat. I wonder if the TCU is bad. I did find the OBD plugs hidden behind the center console. I checked the multifunction switch on the trans, but did not have the specs to determine if it was functioning perfectly or not. Also it seems like there is a water leak on the RS of the car. Could that have messed the TCU wiring up?

Is there any way to test the TCU without testing it with another one? I don't want to take mine out and risk damaging it in this Passat. Anyone have a good one for sale? I also saw what looked like an adjustment knob on the TCU..........what is that for?

TIA later, dave (on a learning curve)