Starter problems ?

I have got a vw-transporter turbo diesel.

Sometimes when I want to start it and turns the key, nothing happens except that I hear a click.

If I put it in 4. gear, and let it roll a bit and turns the key at the same time, it the startermotor starts immediately.

I have had the same problem with a Golf II once, just before the car was dumped.

What is the problem here ? Starter motor brushes contact problem ?

(sorry for my english)

Reply to
Christian Tange

The solenoid engages - that's the click - but does not manage to shift the starter pinion gear in far enough to engage the starter motor.

There could be a problem with the voltage at the solenoid, if it's too low the solenoid might sometimes need a little vibration to loosen up. Another possibility is that the pinion bushing is worn or dirty, causing too much friction against moving in.

Not likely.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Reply to
Absolute Xaero

I think you are right here, I can also hear something that sounds like a fan when I turn the key, and this is probably the startermotor that are just spinning.

Is this easy to fix by my self ?

Thank you for the reply.

Christian

Reply to
Christian Tange

I sort of suspect that you're missing a few teeth on the flywheel. I've heard that when you shut of your motor, it always stops at the same position. Let me know if this is the problem. If the motor is not working but your solenoid is I would suspect the wire from the solenoid to the motor is broken or corroded. Good Luck Paul Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
Paul