Starter Replacement for 88 Scirocco II

I just replaced the starter on my 16v, but the new starter has a different wiring configuration/terminal. The main terminal is still there, but The two extra wires now don't have a separate terminal to attach to. My supplier told me to combine those two on the one terminal, but it hasn't worked. Anybody have any similar experiences? Any solutions/stuff to look for?

Thanks, LaM

Reply to
LaM

IIRC One of the starter solenoid terminals SHOULD be for the cold start valve for the fuel injection. This is probably the one that is missing on the "new" starter. I would NOT hook both of the little wires together. Maybe the cold start wire could be hooked to the main starter motor terminal though. Or the correct starter! ;-)

BTW what do you mean that it doesn't work? The starter does not operate? Maybe a bad starter, battery or other issue?

JMHO later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

The starter is a brand new one. I get lights in the dash, no fuel pump or turnover. Battery indicated 12+ volts, car ran well enough until the starter just wouldn't turnover. Long start sequences then finally no go. I had the same thing on my 95 Passat, which required a new starter as well. Started up like a champ after that replacement, so with the same symptoms in the 'Roc, I replaced the starter. No fuses are burned out, but I haven't had the chance to check all the relays. I had some replacement ones that I swapped, but no change to car response.

Reply to
LaM

uhhhh sounds like maybe the ign. switch is faulty. :-( Or you have some relay/connection that is not closing a circuit. If you had seat belts that attached to the doors I would say you have a problem with the starter seat belt interlock system. You say you don't hear the fuel pump at all, then that is what I would first look at...........that ign. switch and the wiring going to the starter. Very easy to check the ign switch just by removing those 2 little screws holding the plastic steering column housing together, unplugging the plug from the ign switch and jump the appropriate 2 wires to check to see if the starter operates. I have had to replace two ign switch housings, Fox and Jetta, that did not allow the ign key to fully turn to power the starter.

Yes the symptoms might be the same, but there can be many different causes. ;-) You need to check: battery starter ign switch wiring to the starter

good luck, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves