Starting problem 2001 Passat V5

Hi!

One day, all of a sudden my Passat '01 V5 became troublesome to start. The engine cranked, but there just was no ignition. After 5-6 tries, the engine started, and ran without problems. This behavior has became more and more frequent, though

I have read some forums, and the things to suspect are the coolant temperature sensor and the cam/crankshaft position sensors. I went to a friend who has a small repair shop and read out the diagnostics codes, which were as follows:

2 DTCs found: 17755 - Bank2: Crankshaft/Camshaft Pos. Sensors: Sign. Out of Sequence 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16717 - Knock Sensor 2 (G66): Signal too High

35 - 10 - - - Intermittent

The crank/camshaft thing sounds suspicious. Has anyone seen anything similar? "Out of sequence" sounds pretty dangerous, but I guess that the ECU gets pretty puzzled if the sensor starts to fail reporting....

Regards! /Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Heder

No answer here so far, but if anyway is interested I took the car to my dealer and they replaced the coolant temp sensor and two hall sensors (camshaft position & engine speed). The problem hasn't (yet?) reoccured...

btw, these hall sensors are damn expensive...

/Thomas

Reply to
Thomas Heder