Steering column shaking around 60 mph

91 Jetta GL, manual trany, 253,000miles:

After i recently replaced two broken CV joint boots, the steering column starts shaking at around 60mph. but it ceases under 55 and over 70mph. My mechanic did a wheel-balance hoping to solve the issue, but it's still the same.

what could be the cause? will out-of alignment wheels cause such problem?

I also suspect it's aero-dynamic in nature, but don't know where to look at. Any ideas?

thanks a lot. Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou

I had exactly the same problem with a car I owned a couple of years back.

It turned it to be a nail in one of my rear tyres. Did you get your rears balance checked too?

Reply to
Kevin Scott

Hi Kevin,

do you mean a nail punched your rear tire? it's certainly not the case with my jetta. Or you mean a nut got loose? I'll check it.

thanks for the advice.

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin F. Zhou