Struck out on receiver trailer hitch '90 Golf . No new holes.

Hi, I've been reading and looking for a receiver type hitch for a '90 Golf (built April 1990 so pre-1990.5) where the hitch installation doesn't require any new holes drilled in the car. Have checked out the web sites for Dalan, Hidden Hitch, and DrawTite. All their models for this car require new holes in the sheetmetal. Have checked U-Haul and they just have bent bar that takes a ball, no receiver, and it requires new holes. I was really looking for a hitch that bolted where there are existing bolts or unused bolt holes.

My main aim is to put in a receiver type bike carrier and in the future to tow a small trailer with a Laser type sailboat short distances. I've owned the car since new and it's in great shape and I intend to keep the car for many more years. I really don't want to introduce new holes susceptible to corrosion especially under the car.

Any suggestions on options or other brands? Is a roof bike rack the only other non-intrusive (no new holes) option?

I currently have a strap on bike carrier but it's a pain to put on and off to load/unload the car. Also, it's just the straps holding the weight of the bikes so not really that secure for longer drives.

thanks,

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw

Velcro

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

My 2003 had so much cosmoline or whatever that gooey stuff was that I did not worry about it. You could drill the holes, paint them, slather rustproofing all around where your new htich plate is going and them bolt up the hitch. On my car the right side bolts on to existing holes. 4 holes on the spare tire wheel well. If you are using good rustproofing it will squeeze out. After you bolt on the hitch slather rustproofing over the bolts on the exterior plate.

So where do you live that you have a 17 year old VW >Hi,

Reply to
Jim Behning

I live in Greater Vancouver, BC on the west coast of Canada. Lots of rain and humidity here in the winter times, sunny and quite dry June- Sept. We don't get much snow, but the city crews salt the roads regularly in the winter given all our hills and chances of heavy frost. So I wouldn't say we're in the rust belt like eastern/central Canada or the US but salt is present. I'll post some pics shortly.

Thanks for the feedback on the rust proofing steps. My previous car was a 1973 VW Type III Fastback. It rusted out around the headlights and fenders and I had to sell it because I couldn't keep up with trying to slow rust down. Guess it's inevitable. So I'm kinda anal about rust. I had that car for about 16 years until 1990. As you can guess, I tend to keep my stuff for a long time.

Velcro! That stuff holds my life together.

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw

Reply to