Stutter/burping as I drive my VW Vanagon 83 Westie

After a new engine was installed badly (on top of the core) , leaked and complained, my NEW mechanic did a stellar job of bringing my van back to life. I have since driven 5000 miles without incident.

There is one small nagging problem on this otherwise splendid vehicle. Every couple of minutes and sometimes every 10-20 seconds the engine kind of stutters as if it was shut off for a less than a second. It quickly catches its breath and continues on. I'm afraid that this stutter will turn into a longer gasp and die in the middle of the freeway. Any idea what would be causing this? I told my mechanic about it last time but it stil happens?

Regards

Colm

Reply to
Colm

Could be lots of things. Possibly a dirty fuel filter, a dying fuel pump, a crimped fuel line, or one or more of the fuel injectors may be on it's way out. There could be other causes as well, such as the ignition system (distributor, spark plugs, spark plug wires) - or possibly your engine is slightly out of time. In addition, one or more of the environmental devices could be bad.

Looks like a good inspection is called for.

Reply to
Papa

Cheers. I'll pass this on to the mechanic and make sure he checks each of these.

Reply to
Colm