Swapping my cylinder head on my Golf 1.8 CL 1993

Hi, can anyone help me as I want to increase my cars bhp by swapping my cylinder head. The engine code for my 1.8 CL is AAM which produces

75bhp and the 1.8 GL engine code is ABS which produces 90bhp. I thought the best way to increase my cars power by 15BHP was to simply swap my CL cylinder head for a 1.8 GL cylinder head although I'm not sure if this is possible, does anyone know if this can be done quite easily??

Thanks! Rob

Reply to
Rob

Craig Williams

Thanks for the reply its good to know that I can swap my head over although you say it wont give me the 15 bhp I thought it would give me. I know that the compression ratio of my engine is 9.0:1 and that the ratio for the GL engine is 10.0:1 both having monomotronic fuel systems. I was thinking that the compression was just increased on the GL head because it had been skimmed but perhaps there's more to it than that, maybe I would need a different crank and maybe a shorter throw on the conrods to increase the ratio? I was also thinking that I could drill out my flywheel for increased acceleration and perhaps stick in a fast road cam too?

Reply to
Rob

Actually the only thing you have to do to change the ratio is change the pistons thats the only difference.

Reply to
Craig Williams

OK you never never "drill" your flywheel that will put it out of balance for sure & the engine will run like crap! If you want to lighten your flywheel take it to a machine shop & have them machine it properly. If you take too much off you will lose drivability because your decreasing the rotating mass & 4 cyl's don't like that at idle.

Reply to
Craig Williams

Reply to
SIDESHOW