Switch from swivel vent windows to fixed, MK1 (2023 Update)

What is involved in switching from swiveling vent windows to fixed (non-moving) windows, Rabbit Cabriolet? Pictures of the metal frame for the fixed vent window version show a much shorter vertical rail , so I guess you would have to add a rail inside the door for the roll-up window to ride on when the window is lowered.

Comments please.

Thanks.

Reply to
Papa

might be worth looking in local scrapyards for a pair of suitable doors with the windows that you want in. then you would have all the its you would need to swap over.

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

Thanks for the suggestion.

Reply to
Papa

Hi Papa,

I did that job on my 1979 Rabbit GTI years ago. I picked up 2 fixed vent windows from the wrecker. It may be a different setup on a cabriolet but for me they were the same fit (including the vertical rail) as the existing swivel vent windows and went in without any significant problems, I reversed the removal steps for the install steps. (I am neither a mechanic or autobody technician).

Tweedy

Reply to
Tweedy

Thanks, Tweedy.

By the way, I'm still waiting for the pair of used fixed vent windows assemblies that I ordered from an online source. I'll post back here after I get them and let anyone interested know the outcome of the installation.

Regards,

Papa

Reply to
Papa

Did you ever get the conversion finished? How did it go?

Reply to
Sylvester