Synthetic Oil

Im getting the first oil change on my 2004 TDI Jetta (5023 miles) today and was wondering if I should ask them to put in synthetic oil. What are the benifits over the 'real' stuff?

Thanks.

Reply to
King Mob

If you don't put in the one and only oil that is sold in North America (right now at least) that complies with all the requirements VW laid out for the PD-TDI engine, I think you will void your warranty.

It's a version of Castrol Syntec that meets the new standards for diesel motor oil... The older style (like for my car, a 99.5 TDI) sells for around $5.70CND per litre, and I can only find it at the VW dealer (apparantly other places sell it, but no-one in my town does)... Supposedly this new oil for their PD-TDI engine is even harder to find, you basically have to goto the dealer. I'm not sure if they are just selling the upgraded oil for the PD's or if they are selling this oil alongside the older stuff.

.... At least after the break-in oil change you don't have to change it for

15000kms (I do mine every 10000kms, which is about ever 3-4 months)

This isn't a car i'd be taking to the jiffy lube - it's either a DIY job, or a trip to the dealer.... Apparantly the oil for TDI's doesn't come in the big 55 gallon drums either, my dealer says they have to buy cases of 1 litre containers and fill the cars up bottle by bottle, for some reason I don't think the average mechanic, or lube shop has a few cases of this oil sitting, waiting for TDI's to come in.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Your engine requires synthetic oil specification for the TDI engine.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What follows is my own wacky theory and a few real facts:

I recommend Shell Rotella Synthetic.

My baloney detector also went off when I heard dealers threatening to void warantees if you do not buy their overpriced oil.

I have been using ordinary diesel rated synthetic oil for 133k miles. Everything is just fine and will continue to be until I sell it at 200k. My Jetta TDI is a '97, but I cannot imagine the new motors being that much more fussy about oil. The only appearance of age is that the turbo is a bit more audible.

Take a look at the codes on the back of the oil at your local parts place. Anything 2 letter code with the letter C for Compression is a diesel rating. The oil gets better as the second letter increases. CH is the best, then CG, then CF, then CD. I hear rumors of the existence of CI, which would be best if you find it.

Penzoil Synthetic and many generics are not diesel rated; do not use them.

Unless you plan on pulling heavy trailers over 90 mph every day or being a taxi, any diesel rated synthetic oil will be just fine. Shell Rotella Synthetic is cheaper than most.

regards, KL

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd

The TDI requires synthetic. Make sure it meets all the specifications listed in the owner's manual.

Not synthetic may cause problems with the "T" of TDI. The turbo runs hotter than most oils handle.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The two letter ratings are standard ratings. They do not indicate quality, rather they indicate that an oil meets the specifications listed for that letter combination. So far I believe they are all backward compatible.

If I remember correctly VW has specification(s) that are not included in the list required to get a CH rating. I have seen the VW rating on oil containers in the store. I buy those that meet the requirements VW has set.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The two letter ratings are standard ratings. They do not indicate quality, rather they indicate that an oil meets the specifications listed for that letter combination. So far I believe they are all backward compatible.

If I remember correctly VW has specification(s) that are not included in the list required to get a CH rating. I have seen the VW rating on oil containers in the store. I buy those that meet the requirements VW has set.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Here's the web page for Shell Rotella Synthetic. If you know the VW spec number, Shell experts can tell you if Rotella meets it.

GigaNews

Update: Thanks for all the help, as Joseph mentioned, the 2004s TDI now require synthetic, and as Rob said (and the dealer confermed), it will void the warenty if it is not used. The dealer used a Casrtrol product. I saw the bottle, but the type escapes me. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Mob

Reply to
King Mob

Castrol Syntec is the name of it.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

IIRC, the VW Spec if 505.01

Reply to
Pete Cressman

There apparently is some improvement in pricing in the US for 505.01 VW oil:

John H

In the US, use only VW 505.01 rated oil for a 2004 TDI engine. If you do it at a dealer, be sure that they use the Castrol 505.01 (not Syntec) oil that they should stock. Otherwise, you can use Castrol 505.01 bought from the dealer, Motul Specific 505.01 ordered from a Motul dealer or

or maybe some VW 505.01rated product from Elf. VW 505.01 rated oils are not common in regularauto stores in the US.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

VW dealers in the US should be using Castrol 505.01, not Syntec, in a 2004 TDI engine. Castrol Syntec 5W-40 (but not 5W-30) is suitable for older TDI engines in the US.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

Not true for Canada, at least...

You can also buy Motul brand VW 505.01 "synthetic blend" here. I just bought some from the VW dealership in Cranbrook, BC (Arrow Motors), and you can also order it through Tunerworks in Calgary, AB (min. 5 litre jug

Both are hugely pricey for a semi-synthetic at $11/L plus tax(es). The Castrol formulation (described by them as a "synthetic technology product", whatever that means), now sells for CAD$8.40/L at the Calgary VW dealerships,down from $11 when I took delivery of my 04 a couple of months ago.

If you find any, let me know. I've been looking for months....

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

Apparently NOT. See my posting of Castrol's reply in the thread "no synthetic VW505.01 in Canada?"

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse

I would suggest that if the requirements can be handled by a non-synthetic fine, but most if not all standard oils don't meet the requirements.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have only used Valvoline Synthetic 10/30 in winter 20/50 in summer. Changed it every 5000 miles. I had the oil changed by the dealer for the free period (1 year I think) every 10,000 miles. New filter at all oil changes. It lived for 165000 miles but I am thinking a missfiring injector killed the motor. In contrast I get 80,000 miles from my 350 Chevys befor they throw a rod or oil presure drops to low to drive.

FYI: Purolator & AC are the best filters from what I have read.

Reply to
willbr