Synthetic oil required in TDI engines?

I've just been told that synthetic oil is essential in the TDI series of engines.

Fact? or just desirable?

Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

Just desirable. Except for PD engines. In South Africa garages put non-synthetic in TDI's but apparently VW in the USA decided synthetic should be used.

Reply to
Ernest

I can't speak for all oils or all TDI engines, but every oil that meets the requirements for the TDI that I have seen have been synthetics.

Open your owner's manual and check the specifications for oil and see what it says. If an oil company can meet those specifications synthetic or not, the oil is OK to use. Not all synthetic oil is going to meet the specifications.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Go to

and read the forums.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Using non-synthetic, actually non-VW505.1 spec oil in my '02 TDI would void the warranty. I'd say that's mandatory.

There are two reasons to use good synthetic oil:

1) Diesels create a lot of soot in the oil, and you need a high-quality oil to keep it dispersed (not necessarily synthetic). 2) The turbo generates very high temps, non-high-grade synthetic oil will get baked to a "coke" that is a disaster for the turbo.

One of the highly recommended oils for TDIs is Mobil Delvac 1.

Reply to
Wake

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Have you changed your name from Woodchuck to Lost in Space now? later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Yes, I now get my internet connection via satellite because it's the only way for hi speed.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

cool Lost in Space............I'll remember your new "handle" :-) I hope that you get DSL or cable soon, unless you really like satellite as your ISP. later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
One out of many daves

Thanks, all!

Jack

Reply to
Jack

US TDI engines through 2003 can use 5W-40 oil meeting VW 505.00, ACEA B3 or B4, or API CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, or CI-4. For 2004 and newer TDI engines in the US, VW 505.01 rated oil is required (VW 505.01 rated oil also meets VW 505.00, so it can be used in older TDI engines as well).

For US TDI engines 2003 and earlier (has API CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 ratings). It does not have the VW 505.01 rating for 2004 and newer TDI engines in the US.

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee