Synthetic oil worth it?

Here's Shell's data. How does it compare?

SHELL ROTELLA® T Synthetic

Fully synthetic heavy-duty engine oil

Product Description

Shell Rotella® T Synthetic SAE 5W-40 is a fully synthetic heavy-duty diesel and gasoline engine oil developed especially to meet the requirements of North American driving. The exclusive Shell formulation offers users exceptional performance and protection in combination with enhanced fuel economy potential over conventional 15W-40 motor oils. This synthetic multigrade engine oil meets the service requirements of virtually all four-stroke cycle diesel and gasoline engine manufacturers.

Applications

a.. . Recommended for new and older diesel- and gasoline-powered vehicles, including personal vehicles and commercial vehicles such as on-road, off-the-road, truck rental, pickups, delivery, utility, and school bus fleets.

b.. . Meets or exceeds the diesel engine requirements of API CI-4, , Cummins CES 20078, Detroit Diesel, John Deere, Dodge, Ford, GM, International, Mack EO-N Premium Plus 03, Volvo and others. For gasoline engines, it exceeds API SL.

Features/Benefits

a.. . Formulated for multipurpose use, simplifying inventory needs

b.. . Outstanding wear protection and bearing corrosion control helps maximize engine life

c.. . Helps speed cold starts, even with low winter temperatures

d.. . Enhanced oxidation stability and soot control, especially at higher temperatures, aids service life

e.. . Improved fuel economy - when compared to conventional SAE 15W-40 oils

f.. . Product is warranted against defect and has performance which meets or exceeds virtually all equipment manufacturer's engine oil warranty requirements

Approvals and Recommendations

a.. . API CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF

a.. . API SL, SJ, SH

a.. . Cummins CES 20078,20076; 20071

a.. . Detroit Diesel 7SE 270

a.. .

a.. . Mack EO-N Premium Plus '03, EO-N, EO-M Plus

SOC: 02517-12/02

Typical Properties of Shell Rotella® T Synthetic

Test SAE Grade

Method 5W-40

Product Code 54300

Viscosity:

@ -30°C, cP D 5293 6400

@ 40°C, cSt D 445 90

@ 100°C, cSt D 445 15.0

Viscosity Index D 2270 176

Flash Point, °C D 92 222

Pour Point, °C D 97 -40

Low temperature cranking viscosity

cP @ -30°C D 5293 6400

Low Temperature Pumping viscosity,

cP @ -35°C D 4684 39,000

Neutralization No. TBN-E D 2896 11.5

Sulfated ash, wt% D 874 1.47

Handling & Safety Information

For information on the safe handling and use of this product, refer to its Material Safety Data Sheet at

For moreinformation and availability, call 1+800-782-7852 or visit the World WideWeb:
or

TF

From the UK I can help by referring people to MILLERS OILS, one of the few oils to pay for and better VW's lubricant standards, and have VW's letters to prove it. They do give details of the tests, and oddly enought, Millers' latest and best product for Pumpe Duse and Longlife servicing, is not their Fully Synthetic but their Semi Synthetic, but it is dearer than their other oils, but not as dear as VW's PD Quantum spec.

-- Derek Wealleans snipped-for-privacy@clara.dot.co.uk Remember:- remove the anti spam

Reply to
Derek Wealleans

If you havve so much money, why don't you ditch that POS 85 VW and buy a real car? You actually have a 1985 VW and are proud of it? Hahahaha!

Reply to
jj

At least he isn't whining about timing belt troubles and dealer screw ups. Maybe if you owned an 85 you wouldn't have so many headaches.

Reply to
Tony Bad

I hope your daughter wasn't one of those "a sucker born every minute" like you were. You actually own 5 watercooled VW's! You must be a mechanic for a living. Question is, how do you pay yourself? I love VW's, just none with liquid cooling. You are right, if I had one of my

63, 66, 73, 77, or 79 buses I wouldn't be bitching. Or if I still had my 57 oval or my 73 Super Sun Beetle, I'd be happy too. For whatever reason (kids are my number one reason for life now) I sold everything and put it into a college investment account. Then, I was a dumbass and bought a couple of these new VW's that suck water! Big mistake, can't wait to get rid of them and buy a Honda. European cars just suck, all of them.
Reply to
jj

Yup, have 5 of them, although only 3 are licensed and on the road. Not a mechanic by profession, but don't mind doing the work when needed...but the pay does stink!

I think most of VW's biggest problems as far as quality and reliability have come up in the past 5 years or so. We ran a 95 up over 130,000 miles before we had any headaches, and my 01 and 02 have been trouble free with 40,000 and

50,000 on them respectively. I read stories like yours and many others and figure I must be real lucky, as there are many problems being reported on newer cars. Can't argue with your thoughts on Honda, as they have a great track record, although even some of their newer models have been causing more than the usual # of problems one expects from a Honda (used to be ZERO!).

Vw's from the 80's and early 90's are pretty good cars. My 91 has close to

150,000 and has had no big problems. That is why I made my comment.

Sad to hear your recent VW experiences have sucked.

Reply to
Tony Bad