Tachometer 2000RPM and 19 km/h for Golf GLS 2000

Golf GLS 2000 with Auto transmition at 36,000km. When starting the car, step the accelerator until the tachometer reading of 2000 RPM or more, the speedometer remains at around 19 km/h (less than 20km/h). I can hear the sound of the engine, but cannot accelerate the engine. It does not acceralte until the car get some shake. Then it speeds up suddently. Sometimes it accelearte even after I move the foot from the accelerator.

There is a friction sound from the wheel. The steering wheel can feel the friction shake. Sometimes there is nothing completely.

I went to have it repaired yesterday. The guy asked me to do tune-up. It costed me 500 CDN ( lots of money for me. Damn!). And the mechanic changed the brake disk and other stuff for free (under warranty). It seemed good when I went home. But the problem happened again last evening. Mr. David Gravereaux (from rec.automakers.vw.aircooled) suggested that it is a problem of transmission oil. The secetary told me that the tranmission oil needn't be changed because it is sealed and difficult to do that. (Does transmission belond to Power-train system? Powertrain is still under warranty)

Anybody can give me some suggestion for the problem?

A new minor problem: After stopping the car with brake while engine running, tachometer should remain at around 10000RPM. But now, the pointer of the tachometer is always shaking a little during that time. Is that a problem related to tune-up? Or it is normal?

Thank you very much.

James

Reply to
James

Thank Rob Guenther for his kind reply with his knowledgable suggestion.

Rob Guenther answered all questions. But he is not sure about the titled question: the car does not run very fast (19km/h) when tachometer is 2000 RPM or more. It seems that the speed is sticked to 19- 20km/h until some accident shake. Then it goes suddently.

The mechanics replaced all brake pads, disc yesterday.

Thank you very much.

James

Reply to
James