Tappet noise after oil change

At 5000 miles I changed my oil to Mobil 1 0-40W also with a new VW filter on my '03 Passat Varient with a 1.8T. I've noticed a 1 second tappet sound much like an oil starved hydraulic lifter (does this engine even have lifters?) when first starting in cold weather (I'm in central Virginia). This didn't happen with the original dealer oil in. Anyone else have this occur with Mobil 1 0-40W? Am wondering if I should pull out a few quarts and put in some Mobil 1 10-40W to raise the viscosity?

Rod

Could be a lifter but more likely it's the cam chain adjustor under the valve cover. If it goes away in a couple seconds I wouldn't worry as it may just be because before the oil pressure builds up. BTW, I'm not too fond of "0" oils.

Reply to
Woodchuck

VW used to call that "normal" in the older 1.8 engines. My 99.5 new jetta tdi does it also. But that oil sounds thin for Virginia. What ranges does VW call for. I use 5-40 in my tdi and I'm in Ohio. Some tdi owners use 0- xx in Canada but I'm sure it's colder there. I would use what you have in there untill the weather warms up a bit then change it for a slightly heavier grade.

Reply to
Jo Bo

Wrong oil ??

see:

click on PKWs and search for your car. In Europe Volkswagen dealers only use Shell lubricants.

René

Reply to
"René G.

Hello I would try the 10w40. 0w40 sounds way too thin for the type of weather in Virginia. I have an 88 Fox that i run 10w40 (in Canada) for winter and

20w50 in summer to stop lifter noise. It works for me... Have a try and see what it does. Kelly
Reply to
SIDESHOW

For the 1.8T, VW recommends 5-40W. With the turbo, a synthetic oil is also recommended. However, it's hard to find a true synthetic 5-40W around here except for the Castrol from the dealer at over $8/qt. Many VW drivers are using the Mobil 1 0-40W with no tappett sound problems. In the spring/summer I'll mix 10-40 and 0-40 and see what that does.

Thanks

Reply to
Rod

If that's true, then why does my dealer put non-synthetic 10W-30 in our

1.8T Passat?

However, it's hard to find a true synthetic 5-40W

For the last oil change, I brought my own 5W-40 synthetic that I got at Wal Mart. I think it was Shell Rotella.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02 (Remove the CAT to email me)
Reply to
William Maslin

I'd find another dealer. AFAIK all B5 Passats (both 1.8T and 2.8) are supposed to get 5W40.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

VW only specs synthetic oil for the TDI and not the 1.8t which uses dino-oil. Yes I think the 1.8t should use synthetic oil but I think VW took it's owners in consideration to only use dino-oil. Most VW owners would cry having to step up and pay the added cost of synthetic.

Reply to
Woodchuck

You're better off with the 10-40 only

Reply to