TDI?

What are your experiences with a TDI? I recently got a new job and am looking to purchase a new, or used car to replace my 2002 Hyundai accent. I am looking for something good on gas (I will be driving about 1 hour each way), and some with good crash test ratings. I was thinking a Jetta TDI or some type of Subaru. I also want my car to handle well in the snow and be reliable. I would like to find a nice newer used, but am leery of purchasing a newer used (afraid i'll get a lemon); on the other hand I dont want to get killed by the payments

Reply to
illusion123a

"illusion123a" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

How much driving do you do in a year? How many km / miles on your current car per month or year?

Reply to
Jem Berkes

I still have my 2002 TDI NB that I bought in 2002. It is as good as it can get on gas, it uses none. :-) I get mid 40's to low 50's in city and upper 50's to lower 60's on the road using diesel.

I don't know what the crash ratting is and I have not tested it.

It has proven to be very reliable at 61,000 miles now and I have no complaints with it's snow capabilities in Ohio. I would guess if I had to go on un-plowed roads after a very deep snow, it might be a problem due to the low ground clearance, but other models (not the New Beetle) have more clearance.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I read all the other responses. So what's wrong with your 2002 Hyundai accent? It's only a 2002 and should still be a decent car in 2007? You might want to look back and see how you maintained your car before you buy a VW. VWs need lots of maintenance especially the TDI.

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have a 2005 Passat TDI and it has been faultless to date. We have about

35,000 miles without a hitch. Averaging about 44mpg highway. Been on two road trips and carried 3 people and all luggage perfectly(read huge honkin trunk). I have, and will continue to HIGHLY recommend this car to anyone that will listen, One of the best decisions we've ever made. In fact, I'm looking for a decent price on a used Golf TDI for my work car.

Cecil in Virginia

,
Reply to
Detailing Dude

There is nothing wrong with my accent.. I have about 75k, and have done all required maint ( i even have the service records) I actually love my little car, and am impressed with how well it has help up for being around 10k new. I do have concerns over safety, it runs great in decent weather, but no so much in rain/ snow, as I will now be driving a major interstate to and from work, i want something safer and with traction control/ AWD. I actually only plan on purchasing a new car late fall/ early winter, I hope to get a better deal with either trade ins, or a left over 2006

Reply to
illusion123a

Reply to
none2u