TDI Glow plug fuse blew and melted the fuse holder. What to do?

Hi group-

My 98 Jetta TDI glow plug fuse blew this week and it melted some of the fuse holder. Now one of the fuse terminals is pulled to the front of the car by about 1/4 inch so that the replacement fuse will not lay flat. (I thought fuses were supposed to prevent destruction, not destroy the surrounding components?) I have a bunch of questions for the repair:

Can anyone recommend a USA replacement source for the fuse holder so I don't have to pay the dealer price?

What other function does the fuse holder perform? (There's a low current connector on the bottom.)

Is the fuse holder easy to replace? (Looks like the wipers and lower windshieid cover needs to come off.)

Can anyone think of a reason why a carefully constructed, covered, adequately wired, homemade outboard fuse holder would be a bad idea?

Thanks for the help...

John

Reply to
John Speth

Get a plug in type fuse holder with heavy leads with a 50 amp or so fuse and connect it into the wires.

Reply to
Joe R

This sounds more like the coolant heater control relay. Is it located next to the power brake booster on the firewall?

You can get replacement fuses at

Shipping will cost a lot more than the part. The other option is to go to the parts store and get an assortement of strip fuses sold for ancient Hondas; they have 50 and 55A fuses in them. Also, if it's blowing fuses, it's probably due to a short in a harness or the heating element. Good luck.

--TW 1998 Jetta TDI, gave up on the coolant heater relay; the 650W 110V block heater is more effective.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie