TDI Jetta wagon future availability

Currently I'm a full time student driving a typical run of the mill car that is pretty much up to date in modern conveniences and current technologies being a 2002 car.

I frequently find myself driving long distances including road trips and long distant commutes. For now my car works perfectly fine. It is a V6 DOHC gas burner that gets approx. 25 miles to the gallon. (Would be more if my state didn't used the oxygenated fake gasoline).

About 3 years from now I want to be able to Purchase a VW TDI Jetta Wagon Brand new. Those oil burners get about 45 miles to the gallon on diesel.

My question is, does VW have any plans to discontinue the sales of this type of model in the United States by then in 3 years?

It's a shame that most Americans prefer gas over diesel. When I find that diesel has so much more potential with current and future technologies.

TIA

Reply to
Eastward Bound

Wouldn't it be great if we had a crystal ball! With fuel prices and promised cleaner diesel I would think VW will offer more TDI's

Reply to
Woodchuck

Hi Volks!

Sorry I reply here, "Eastward Bound"s posting isn't available from my server.

You won't be able to buy the current modell Jetta wagon then. The Jetta wagon is the same car as the Golf wagon (which may or may not be available in the US) except for cosmetic differences.

Both are based on the Golf, which already has been replaced by the new model in Germany. This typically means the discontinuation of the models based on it in due course. It's unsure whether there will be a Jetta Wagon based on the new model Golf, but I doubt it. Even a new model Jetta Sedan isn't a safe bet yet, although images of one have already been in the press here in Germany.

Rumour has it that there will be a "high-roof" Golf wagon instead, sort of like a microvan. I have not seen pictures of this beast nor been able to confirm it will indeed be built, but if it will, chances for a normal wagon are slim -- VW would have three competing designs then: the normal wagon, the high-roof, and the Touran minivan. I can't imagine they'd do that.

And even if they do, whether it will be brought to the US, and with a TDI engine, is anyone's guess. I understand VWoA is rather unpredictable there.

Yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Given that the Jetta outsells the Golf by a very wide margin in North America, I'm sure VW will continue to offer some sort of sedan based on the Golf platform. If they didn't there wouldn't be much sense being in the North American auto market at all.

Reply to
Al Rudderham