TDI Longevity Question

When people talk about the durability / longevity of the TDI, I'm seeing some very high numbers bandied about, as in 500K.

Perhaps we could hear from some owners of high mileage TDIs as to how things go past the 200K mark?

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence Radcliffe

I have a client at work with a 2000 Beetle TDI with 700,000kms on it...That car is in tip top shape! Runs Like a new TDI...

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Reply to
Tom Resi

C'mon Tom, this is the Internet!! The information highway!! Everything you read here is legitimate!! If you start acting like a non-believer, they might take your Internet License away. You don't want that do you?? The dude said his client's 2000 Beetle has 700,000kms on it. Maybe his client is a heavy-duty taxi driver. All I know is that I'm tapped into this VW newsgroup and everything is okay and true! Sincerely,

Everyone who is a member of Generation X and Generation Y

Reply to
Bob F.

I know a guy who runs a courier service, and has a fleet of VW TDI's that are running somewhere between Washington DC and Boston 7 days a week. These things rack up anywhere from 200 to 500 miles a day. I don't know how reliable they have been, but the mileage is up there.

Don't be such a cynic...you'll develop back problems with your ass cheeks clenched so tight all the time.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Maybe he pulled a fast one and rolled the odometer up. Or are these things digital now :P He's probably not a taxi driver or courier in downtown Toronto, but in the sub-burbs you never know.

Reply to
Darryl

Phlease, stop scaring me, phlease!

The

As far as I know, in US and Canada no TLC has issued a license for Beetle as a taxi. It has TWO DOORS only!! I have over 6 years of experience in taxi driving in 3 major cities of America and Europe. Trust me this time, you don't get to drive anywhere near 480 km in a 12 hour shift, Beetle or no Beetle. In NY more than 15 yrs ago I was doing an average of 120 mi per shift. I don't think it changed much since. So all this is not much above BS level.

All I know is that I'm tapped into this VW

At your IQ.

Reply to
Tom Resi

Reply to
Tom Resi

I don't know why this was attached to the wrong thread, so I repost it.

Reply to
Tom Resi

I have a bridge for sale, are you interested? Dear bozo! I'm not worried about my ass cheeks as long as they rest confy on your face.

Sorry this is the third attempt to post my answer > I know a guy who runs a courier service, and has a fleet of VW TDI's that are

Reply to
Tom Resi

I've got a '96 Passat TDI Wagon that I bought new in 5/96, but it's nowhere near that # of miles - just went over 80,000 in fact. It's been super reliable, nothing but new brakes, tires, wipers, a ripped CV boot, battery, belts, fluids, adjust door latches - the usual. The muffler's looking a little ragged now. But typical for VW (at least in my long esperience - since early '70's) the little stuff starts falling off, and the coachwork will be crappy LONG before the powertrain gives up the ghost. So it's not miles that will kill this one, but time alone....

I figure if I can keep it going for say five more years and a couple of teenage sons, it will have been most satisfactory. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

HTH,

Rod

Reply to
Roderic Don

What does this mean? Do you really have a bridge for sale? I don't get it?

I posted something because it is true...you made a rather cynical comment when someone posted something about exceptionally high mileage cars, and I was just pointing out that it could be true. Many courier services began using rabbit diesels back in the 70's because they were just about the cheapest vehicle one could run for small deliveries. Companies that deliver small packages and especially medical couriers, delivering surgical instruments and biologic materials use them regularly. What other vehicle will deliver 50 miles per gallon? Many of these companies now use TDI's. Why is this so hard for you to believe? I spoke with my friend earlier today, and mentioned I had written about him earlier. He told me he had put about 450 miles on one of his Jetta TDI's just last night when he made a run.

As for your invitation to sit on my face, why don't you just leave that to your regular butt buddy...I'm not interested.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Came thru all three times...and I still don't really get it.

Reply to
Tony Bad

Go to TDIclub.com and do a search. There are a number of discussion threads by individuals with very high mileage TDI's. Short answer is that a many well maintained TDIs will easily do 250,000 miles (some do much more).

JEB

Reply to
JEB

In this case, the owner of the car is a driver for Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto. He drives all over Ontario, picking up disabled and sick children and brings them to the hospital.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

He picks up "disabled and sick children" with a VW Beetle?!! Did Canada heard that for this purpose the "ECNALUBMA" was invented? Or there is an Ambulance Beetle made in Canada? This is the first time I hear that a Beetle is used on a regular base to transport disabled children. Sounds unreal to me.

Reply to
Tom Resi

Tony Bad

You don't use an ambulance to take a disabled kid for physiotherapy, or to take a kid with cancer for chemo. I'd bet a VERY small percentage of the kids who are treated at Sick Kids in Toronto arrive by ambulance, or any other hospital for that matter.

Reply to
Al Rudderham

Exactly. Alot of the time, he transports kids from areas such as Sudbury and Timmins, and usually these are kids whose parents otherwise couldn't afford to drive them back and fourth.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

miles - infinity time - 10 good years.

I have a '97 Jetta TDI with a buttery smooth 117k miles. My mechanic's opinion is that the motor is much better than the rest of the car. Drive all you want for 10 years - then the electrical gremlins will start to lay the smack down.

regards, Keith E. Loyd

Reply to
Keith E. Loyd