TDI Mileage

Hello, I have a 04' Jetta GLS TDI, I bought it a couple weeks ago with 40,000 miles on it. I drive a little over 100 miles a day, I would say 70% of my driving is hwy. I try to keep the speed under 70, don't take off fast, In other words just normal driving, My question is that I'm getting about 38 mpg, is this about right? Oh and yes it's an automatic. Is there any mods I can do to increase mileage, Also will using the Tiptronic manual shift help with mileage?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

38mpg (6.2L/100km) is about what I'm getting with my '03 Golf TDI, manual. I tend to drive a bit "quickily" and do high revs (like the sound as the needle climbs the tachometer :).

On a side note, there's a converter between various units (including mileage) at:

David Magda

Have several and 38 is about normal for the Jetta. Have heard of some owners getting in the mid 40 on long trips

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'm a bit surprised at the response you've gotten. I have an '02 Jetta TDI and if it drops below 40 or 41, I start yelling at the wife for lead-footing. She drives around 80 miles a day and the only time it's dropped below the 40 mpg average is when the lower engine fairing was not installed (a long story involving a complete truck tire cap and 80 mph...).

I will also have to admit that this is the first car I've owned that I have not been able to best the milage estimates on the sticker, which read 34 city and 45 highway. While we do better in the city at around 35, the best highway I've ever gotten has been 44. In every one of my new cars in the past I've always been able to beat the highway estimate (sometimes by a fairly large amount), except in the Jetta. No matter what we've done or how we've driven it, it's never gone over that 44 mark.

I'm not sure what to suggest to better your milage, except perhaps tires and keeping them at what VW recommends pressure wise. I do use a fuel additive, either Power Service or, for when it's really cold, One Shot (the Power Service, contrary to what they say, gels up when it gets down to single digits). However, I do not notice any noticable mileage loss when we do not use it, so I can't recommend them for that reason.

Otherwise, I'm at a loss to help. Sorry about that. Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc

Well it seems I've had two good ones. I had a 96 passat tdi wagon and averaged 45 mpg for 107k miles. I also had a 99.5 jetta tdi and averaged

49+mpg for 114k miles. My son now owns the jetta and is averaging about the same. Both were standard and mostly highway, maybe 60%.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Don't the 2004 TDIs have the new PD engine? I think these are less fuel efficient than the previous engines, like the one in my 2001 Golf. Automatics just don't get as many miles per gallon as manuals. I typically get about 45 mpg, but also frequently go as high as 49 or 50, depending on driving conditions.

In addition to correct tire pressure, good fuel and a good additive, you may want to advance the timing a little. I think this can help. but I am mechanically illiterate so I'm uncertain.

Reply to
ksternberg1

Timing on the new PD's are computer controlled so the only way I know of is to hack into the ECU. I'm sure in time someone can do that. Other than that VW likes to keep it's dealer techs under a information ROCK!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
danilettt

automanufacturers very often don't know all the details themselves. It's the same, as for example DELL does not really know, what exactly is going on inside the Intel chips they use.

So, for example, if some company, say Bosch, VDO or Delphi etc, designs and produces the ECU, the automobile manufacturer itself does not necessary know what's going on inside that black box. Of course, they know the function diagrams and such, but this is just a "bird view". If something unexpected happens, they have no choice, but to call the "support line" themselves :) Of course, they could buy the complete design, but it is much much more expensive. They just define the requirements and pick the best offer. Which nowadays often is the cheapest one, not necessary the most advanced or reliable.

It's the usual dumping game: you promise everything in the world for a nickel just to win that tender (because competition does the same), and then do the best you can. Which is often not much. And the customer suffers :(

Reply to
draugaz

My standard reply is join

and find out everything you ever wanted to know about your tdi. Then you'll rush out and get a vag-com setup

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

Mine is a 2003 Jetta TDI with a 5 speed. I average 42 or 43 in the summer and 39 in the winter. So, my overall, average MPG is right at 40 year long. That is not bad. I can pretty much guarantee at least 500 miles on a tank.

Reply to
Numan

Dang, I get 42/49 in my 99 TDI manual. I am sure that will change in '06 though :-(

Reply to
Mike Smith

Makes you nostalgic for the old VW diesels, doesn't it? I got 54 on the highway, with a maximum of 57 on one trip. 41 in the city. Lower in the winter on blended fuel, of course.

Reply to
Brian Running

What happens in '06?

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Seems kind of low (even with an automatic). Do you try to avoid sudden slowdowns and stops? E.g. when a light turns red up ahead that you know you will have to stop for, do you get off the accelerator and coast to it, as opposed to racing up to it and slamming on the brakes? On the highway, do you avoid tailgating (tailgating forces you to make a lot of speed changes in response to the speed changes of the vehicle being tailgated)?

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee

I get 42-44 on my 2003 Jetta TDI wagon. That mileage is at highway speeds of

70 to 80 mph with the a/c on and no extra inflation in the tires. I refrain from jackrabbit starts and I tend to use the cruise control a lot. I am told that if I pump up the tires, I can do better. I met a fellow last year who drove from Washington, DC to Chatham, MA in a 2003 Jetta TDI sedan who did pump the tires and got 53 mpg.

I know that the cost of fuel is in a crisis stage. My wife who drives a gas Touareg (which gets about 23 mpg) has decided that she will use my TDI to go shopping to save money. Her shopping will not save me any money, but the hemorraghing will slow when she uses my TDI.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R.

2003 Jetta TDI sedan, 33k mi., 5 spd manual, standard tire pressure- Mostly rural driving at 6500' el., no jack rabbit starts but not pamped driving either- We get 48 mpg on standard diesel. Next tank will be B20 which is now cheaper here than regular gas. Be interesting to see what the B20 mileage is. Chuck
Reply to
JensenC

Reply to
Mike

It is interesting how the fuel seems to differ from station to station. My worst mileage comes from an Exxon station which is usually more expensive than other local dealers. With its fuel I get around 40 mpg. Over the weekend we filled up at a Mobil station in Chatham, MA at $2.77 per gallon. I use Stanadyne Fuel Conditioner from time to time. When we got home I filled up again and checked the usage. We went 178 miles on 3.79 gallons or almost 47 mpg. Again, that is driving at 75-80 with the a/c on for about 120 miles of that 178.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R.