The Beetle is no more

As heard on NPR, they're stopping production of the Beetle (original) beetle for good in Mexico. I wonder how many were made total. They said the Mexico plant made around 1.6 million.

Reply to
Jedediah A Frey

Old News

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Details:

Tundra Wookie

What an ass

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

Whats the big changes.. Exhaust and a carbon filter, right? Anything else that needs to be done?

I saw a bunch locally when the Beetle surge came back in 98/99...

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

They don't crash test so they set the new body on an old frame. Your

2003 becomes a 1974 beetle or whatever year the pr>> Some have, but it is not easy to make one legal in the US.

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Bite Me.

This is really nothing new...it was announced almost a month ago that VW was ending Beetle production. Go over to the air cooled group and spend some time there....there is allot of discussion over this particular topic. For many, it means that part supplies will dry up within the next 5-10 years, making restoration very difficult and expensive.

Reply to
Peter Cressman

Thats the best you could drum up? "Bite me"? I'll tell you what, take a few minutes, maybe an hour, let this roll around in your head and come back and try again.

ending Beetle production.>

Who the F cares? The first poster obviously just saw it recently and tried to share with others. If you've seen it already or already knew about it, then just shut your mouth and don't type. Your comment was uncalled for and wasnt needed. Just f'n ignore it and move on.

discussion over this particular topic.>

I've been there. Spent quite some time there when I had my aircooled. But hey, wait, whats this? WE AREN'T IN THE AIRCOOLED GROUP. So the subject of discussion there has nothing to do with the post being here in the watercooled group. And back to square one, your comment is still uncalled for.

making restoration very difficult and expensive.

Again, what in the blue hell does that have to do with your comment?

I can understand the tragedy of the Beetle production ending, and I feel for those who are restoring an aircooled..I've been there with 3 other air pushers.. I know how expensive it can be and I realize how expensive it might become.

But none of that has anything to do with your comment.

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

How about emissions issues.. Wasn't that one of the main problems with importing a Beetle from Mexico?

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

Aww, you got told off on a newsgroup. Boo hoo.. Now you have to killfile me because you can't handle the truth. Wah.. Do us both a favor and drop me in your killfile.

Reply to
Sinjin Smithe

Reply to
lcopps

Reply to
lcopps

Well, the bulk of the Beetle's parts used in restoration came from Mexico, but there are alot of domestic part makers that can supply parts, but with Mexico ending production, it won't make things any easier.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

that part might not be so bad. At some point they began putting cats on even the Mexican ones, IIRC.

Reply to
Matt B.

restoration very difficult and expensive.

I dunno...there are lots of aftermarket suppliers and manufacturers of replicated parts for the aircooleds. might not be that bad.

Reply to
Matt B.

well, only time will tell....there are allot of aftermarket suppliers out there, but if Mexico is destroying it's Beetle fleet vehicles, the demand will be lower, significantly lower, and the North American demand may not be high enough to justify continued parts production.

Interesting article regarding the end of Beetle production in Mexico:

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman

sometime in the 70's when they went to FI in 75 maybe

Reply to
VWGirl

Probably...since the US required cats starting around 74/75, but cats I believe were eventually fitted to Mexican-market Beetles too in recent years.

Reply to
Matt B.

"Matt B." wrote

xfile

- It has OBD, as it uses Digifant 1

- Side impact beams are fitted

- Handbrake Warning Lamp integrated into speedometer

- Immobilizer III standard.

Pretty modern for a 70+ year old design.

- Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman