The Volkswagen Ultimatum

Autoblog

We were well aware of Volkswagen's placement in "The Bourne Ultimatum" thanks to press releases out of Wolfsburg that prepared us for an epic car chase involving a Touareg 2
- When an automaker brags about its product placement, we usually start worrying that the movie will be overrun with subliminal adverts... I've just returned from seeing "The Bourne Ultimatum" and can report that Volkswagen's product placement was very understated and tastefully done. The climactic car chase involving the Touareg 2 was incredible to watch (and sounded even better), but the fact you're watching a VW is hardly noticed since a fender bender early on completely rips off the Touareg's grille, taking the VW emblem with it. Likewise, Jason Bourne's world isn't populated entirely by late model VW, Audi and Lamborghini vehicles. A last-gen Lincoln Navigator figures prominently, as does a Chevy Impala cop car and many older Chrysler 300Ms...

While most marketers can't argue with the effectiveness of GM's overwhelming product placement in "Transformers," regardless of how it negatively affected the viewing experience, we felt VW deserved an extra mention for its welcomed restraint in "The Bourne Ultimatum."

Reply to
Cubicle 4

But best of all was Studebakers product placement in Mr. Ed.

Jeff DeWitt

Cubicle 4 wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Didn't watch the move, but wondering if the T2 made it without the battery going dead or a recall notice(lol)!

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

Say what "Wilbur"?

Reply to
jcr

Studebaker was the major sponsor for Mr. Ed and all the cars in the early episodes were Studebakers.

Mr. Addison, the rich next door neighbor, had an Avanit, I had no idea what it was when I saw it as a kid but I knew it was cool.

Studebakers product placement advertising worked, I became a real Studebaker fan, but it was far too late to help them.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt