Thinking about a new(er) VW

At the moment I drive a 91 vw golf 1.8 GL. I'll be graduating soon, and I've been keeping my eyes open for a new car. I keep on looking, but the more I look, the more I'm realizing I really just want a nicer version of my car, but with a better engine & suspension. Now that I've realized this, I think I'd like to get an older GTI/TDI and use the money I save not buying a newer car to fix/upgrade it. I'm on the fence about gas/diesel.

That said, I was hoping to get some input...

->Year? Are there any really good years I should watch for, or really bad years I should stay away from? I've done some reading and it sounds like the mid 90's gti's weren't so reliable. (I like the A4 models) (There's an '02 VR6 at a dealer I'm going to check out this weekend, although I won't be buying for some time)

->GTI VR6/TDI/1.8T? Any comments about how difficult they are to work on? Reliability? My '91 is really easy to work on. Most things are easy to get to, and parts are common/cheap.

->One of the reasons that I'm looking to replace my '91 is that I just don't feel certain about her. I've had her for five years now, but I have always have that feeling that something could go wrong at any moment. I'm looking for a car that doesn't give me that feeling.

thanks,

-Matt

Reply to
MasterChifa

The year, model, engine combos vary in reliability like any carline. First year after adoption cars have a lot of bugs that get worked out in subsequent years. But the VR6 is especially annoying to work on due to clearance issues (specifically thge front and right side where you cant even get your hand in to check something).

Reply to
LG

Have a mechanic look at your '91 thoroughly and give you their opinion. Spend a little money on it updating tired components on it and have the interior and exterior detailed. ;-)

Some of those second generation Golfs are fantastic and will go beyond

250,000 miles without any "major" engine problems. I feel if the body is in great shape then you can keep it alive and keep it in good reliable shape.

The third generation Golf/Jettas are good too! I see a 1997 GTI with VR6 that is doing quite well and the owner still loves it with 140,000 miles on it with no engine or transmission issues. It did need a Engine Speed Sensor and Coil pack in its 12 years.

I have seen a 2001 GTI with VR6 that has had the hinges crack off of the driver's door, timing chains replaced, 5 speed transmission problems, $500 Coilpack repaired, wheel bearing problems, seat adjusting cables snapping and maybe some more problems and it did not even have 50,000 miles on it. The 2 door models have such heavy doors that IMHO caused the cracking. Engine oil needs to be changed due to time or mileage whichever comes first. Transmission problems occur! I will admit that I do like the look of the '01 over the '97, but I am lazy and don't like to work too hard nor spend too much $$$ either. lol

Bottom line is.................what do you want from a newer VW and how do you plan to use it? All VWs like long trips but of course the TDI will get you better mpg, but gas engines could be a lot faster. ;-)

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1