This can't be right- help w/ machine shop for headwork in NJ

As some of you know, I've been doing my own headwork to try to cut costs. I removed the head, stripped it, did the chamber work and porting and now just need to get some minor work done so the car can go back together.

Just got a call from the machine shop. I called to see if I drop off my head (stripped 4 cyl 16v) how much it would cost to-

A. clean it B. check it for cracks C. resurface it D. press out the old guides, press in new ones (I supply) E. cut the seats for the new larger valves.

What do you think a fair price from a good shop would be?

I was quoted $700.....!! $400 if I didn't get the seats cut for the

5mm larger valves. I think this is outrageous, and am certainly going to try to find a better (cheaper) place.

I would hate to see how much they would charge if I had brought it in complete and had them take out the cams, lifters, springs, valves, etc and reassemble when they were done!!

Anyways....if anyone knows a place near Lake Hopatcong, Ledgewood area in NJ, let me know. Otherwise the project is on hold indefinately.

Thanks- Josh From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
PowerDubs

Only got one thing to say: "speed costs money"! If they are good at what they do then it's money well spent. This is not just for VW's but for all performance work done.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I had a 2 valve head done and I think it was $135 labor and parts. I got back a head where the head was cracked where the new guides were inserted. At least one guide and maybe more. I bet a different shop might have done things better like maybe even chilling the guides before pressing them in. The spray painted the head when a little glass beading would have been fine. Might be worth a bit to have a better shop do a good job.

There is a sign that hangs on many shops. $85 per hour, $95 per hour if you watch, $125 if you supply the parts. Or something like that.

"Woodchuck" wrote:

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

You also want to target a speed shop that has a good VW reputation. All speed shops are not created equal.

Before you pay that kind of cash. Ask for any references. If they don't have any, run away. A reference like a VW club or something would be great.

Lastly, you can probably do better if you are networked. IOW, you should know someone who has a garage or you should at least be in the business like a dealer salesman, parts, service etc. You can generally get "cost", a wholesale price as a professional discount since you would be related to the automotive business.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Well, I went for it.... its done.

VWsport.com NNTP Gateway