Throttle body - 99 V6 Passat

My Passat (99 V6) was in to the dealer for an intermittent cruise control. They ended up replacing the cruise control switch but then apparently needed to "perform throttle body adaptation". This operation failed, despite there being no previous trouble codes related to this component.

So they wanted to replace the throttle body and quoted me $700 to do so. I refused, with the new symptoms (as described by the mechanic) of hard shifting and the "engine check" light always on.

Can this "throttle body adaption" be attempted by another dealer service department with any chance of success? Or am I truly stuck replacing the throttle body at this point?

Thanks, Bryan

Reply to
BK

They prob broke the throttle body replacing the switch and now want you to pay for it. Any vw dealer should be able to do the adaptation .

SFC

"BK" schreef in bericht news:2dc50$44f08d76$d0660b35$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET...

Reply to
SFC

Duh! please explain? There are no cruise control switches mounted on the throttle housing.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

I had the same problem on a V6 A4. The car was working ok but the a Throttle body adaption needed to be performed. Couldn't communicate with it and a new Throttle body is required. I got it replaced under warranty thankfully ! It is a common fault apparently. There are companies that rebuild them.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding

BK wrote in news:2dc50$44f08d76$d0660b35$ snipped-for-privacy@FUSE.NET:

Followup -- another dealer tried but also could not successfully do the throttle body adaptation. This is a 7 year old car so I hate to put that much into replacing this part. Any chance that a used or rebuilt throttle body could be put on it with success? If an independent shop does that, do I still need to go back to a dealer to do this adaptation, or should it be good without?

Reply to
BK

Buy a remanufactured TB. This place (

) does thembut they are UK based. There will be somewhere in your locale I'm sure. Itwill need coding to the car and a TPA performed unfortunately. Buy VGA-COMor find somebody in your area with it. Richard

Reply to
Richard Goulding