Throttle Position Sensor replacement on '96 2.0L

To all, I am throwing a 1586 trouble code which AutoZone is telling me is a Throttle Position Sensor. It looks fairly easy to replace but the Bentleys says you must reset basic settings for the ECM but it 'appears' this is only related to cars w/ automatic transmissions. I have the 5 speed so I am assuming this is not an issue. Any been there done that experience in the group? Thanx in advance. andy

Reply to
andy

Have you tried cleaning the throttle housing first?

Reply to
Woodchuck

LOL!!

Reply to
Peter Parker

I have a 98 2.0l swapped into my 90 Jetta. Just a couple weeks ago I had my mechanic Vag-Com the motor after about 6 months. The throttle was out of position and was taken care of by the computer. Lets just say that the power difference was quite noticable. And my car is a 5spd, so I think it does matter.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike