Tie Rod Boot Question for 88 Scirocco

On my 88 16v Scirocco I have the power steering removed and have just recently noticed by rubber boot covering the tie rod is ripped. How crucial is this to get replaced quickly? The reason I mention this is because I think having the power steering removed might put more stress on the whole steering system. I haven't noticed much of a problem from it but with winter coming I want to get it replaced. Also, any ideas how much labor might cost?

Reply to
TURBOROCCO

If your are talking about the accordian-style boot(p#1H0 422 831 B) closer to the steering box, I would say replace ASAP. But if you are talking about the little rubber covering on the tie-rod end(closest to wheel), I don't think you can buy that seperately. Both ends unprotected will wear out real quick if you drive on dusty roads. the grease could leak away from the joint also.

JJ

Reply to
Mr J