Timing belt broke, tips and adviced?

Hi all,

Well i was just thinking about taking a look at the timing belt since I was about due. Well last night while hauling a my trailer in the pouring rain "prrrrump" then silence. Thankfully my boss drove by a few minutes later and a couple hours later we had the trailer and car hauled home with his truck.

Once it was home with a little hesitation I popped open the cover over the timing belt, and the belt was broken.

It's an 86 jetta with the 1.6l turbo diesel. With of oh 300,000km on it. Used to run great. :(

Called a friend of the family last night who has rebuilt his diesel engine before and he said I probably bent 2 if not 3 valves, and scored the pistons. His suggestion was while I've got the cylinder head off to replace any damaged pistons since they'll burn through. (and maybe all)

Not sure if I'm going to rebuild it or buy a new car instead. Hmm, I _really_ didn't want to spend this kind of money right now. Anyone have any advice or tips?

Sigh,

-Andrew

Reply to
ASJ

buy a new car instead

Reply to
Woodchuck

I'd pack it in, give up this car and try to find another, but newer, VW. Try to get a TDI.

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Reply to
Ken Pisichko

It's not that bad as all that. Partly it will depend a lot on you ability and resources.

You can swap a 'new to you' used head from a pick & pull type parts yard, have it checked and the sealing surface skimmed, the pistons might well be scored but you'll not know until you get in there.

"Dump it and buy a new car" is part of the whole use it and throw it away culture we all contribute to in this era. No flames, just an observation.

For the cost of a few months of new car payments you might be able to source a good used long block to just swap in.

Thems me thinks.

TBerk