Timing belt on 1.9 TDI and 2000 jetta brakes

My Jetta is coming due to change the timing belt and it is a job that I will be doing myself. My Bentley is due to arrive soon. I have just a couple of questions on this:

  1. Is there some sort of upgrade for the belt and/or tensioner. It seems like I have read a post to that effect in the past.

  1. Where do I get the belt (and possibly tensioner)? At a VW dealership?

  2. Will one of the timing belt tools that I see on ebay do the job or should I be looking elsewhere?

Also, the brake pads are pretty well worn. Should I replace them with OEM or will pads from an autoparts store be ok? Or what about pads from germanautoparts.com?

Sorry about so many questions, but I want to make sure the job gets done right. Thanks

Reply to
Joe B

Not to bust you but are you really sure that you want to do the belt yourself.

Seeing how you apparently have never done one nor do you have the proper tools, it seems that the law of diminishing returns might be in your future.

It is very easy to do it wrong and could cost you a whole lot more money than you could ever save.

If you feel you must do it yourself, do you have a knowledgable friend who has done this before.

Just trying to save you a bit of grief.

Reply to
Dave

dealership?

Reply to
Mike
1- nothing official from VW yet 2- yes 3-?

4- good luck if you never done one before cause if you do it wrong it may not run or you could bend some valves.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The better timing belt is the Gates "Powergrip", VW part number 038 109

119 M. Always replace the tensioner AND the stud. Of course the dealer will have these items, but I'm sure you can shop around online as well.

I've seen the ebay auctions for these tools, but have never used them so I can't say how good/bad they are. I have though of purchasing my own since I do a fair amount of TDI timing belts.

Do you have a VAG COM from Ross Tech? Or an old 1551/1552/5051/5052? If not, then you are going to be a boat without a sail. After you install the timing belt you will have to set start of injection, and to do this, one MUST have a scan tool. VAG COM is the best for this since it puts the info in graph form making the info a breeze to figure out.

Doing a TDI timing belt is a major task, and is something that gives you several chances to f*ck things up, so make sure you understand what you would be getting yourself into.

Later.

Joe B wrote:

Reply to
Pencilneck