timing marks 91 passat

I'm having trouble locating the timing marks on a 91 passat 2.0L engine.

There are 3 visible holes on the flywheel and the only mark i see can be seen thru the 2nd and 3rd hole, i can only see a sproket through the top hole. I see nothing to line the mark up with. Any suggestions or am i blind?

Cheers,

Reply to
Kevin Sundberg

Ok I've looked all over and the only sensible spots are the 3 mentioned below. Nothing obvious that even comes close to having timing marks on it.

I forgot to mention that my car is also an automatic.

Cheers,

Reply to
Kevin Sundberg

I always like to check the timing marks BEFORE I take the timing belts off. Another way to check is to remove the #1 spark plug and make sure it is at TDC with a long item like a screwdriver. TO THIS CAREFULLY AND SLOWLY. You inspection window/hole indicator might be closer to where that water pipe turns and goes to the water pump. I want to say it looks like an arrow that should point to the 0 on the driveplate (flywheel)

good luck later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

G: I've done this before. The Bentley manual (if you have it) is clear in some places, and unclear in others. I had a manual transmission model -VW wouldn't change these from stick to auto, would they...?

You've about found it. The actual mark looks like a notch (about

0.5inch/1cm) long, cut into the flywheel, with a triangular depression around it so you can see it better. To one side of it is rectangular-a raised rectangular bump, that means you're close. Once you're sure you've identified it properly, get a silver paint marker, and make it nice and visible.

The real fun begins try to line up that camshaft sprocket. As I recall, the cam sprocket has two timing marks, one "inboard" (nearest the cyl. head), and one outboard (towards the chassis). IIRC, you want the inboard mark. It's a little dimple on the side of the sprocket. Mark it with a paint pen too. This sprocket will move when you try and slip the belt on.

The distributor drive sprocket is easy in some ways, because it doesn't have to be perfect (you can just move the distributor in it's mount). Oh wait, does this motor have the camshaft-driven distributor? I forget...

Crankshaft Sprocket: just pray that the bolts come out without a fight. Clean the pulleys off, and mark the pulley notches with your paint pen also, because it gets dark down there reeel fast. Clean up the lower timing cover, where the arrow mark is, and paint-pen it also. Makes it a lot easier to see things.

Gamemechanic

Reply to
genero

There is a notch and a 0 mark on the flywheel that can be seen thru the larger hole on the bell housing. All of my manuals I think are for manual transmissions and not automatic.

Anyways, I stuck a long screwdriver down cylinder #1 and found TDC, put the vibration damper pulley back on and marked up the notch with the arrow on the lower timing belt case. In my opinion this is the only way to do it because there are no marks to use as reference on the bell housing to line up the flywheel.

I noticed the crankshaft moved slightly when I put tightened up the tensioner. Apparently it's acceptable to have it move up to a notch, however I did it 3 times to make sure it didn't move at all (what a pain in the ass) but with these things you have to be 100% certain that everything is aligned.

Thx again for all your help.

Cheers,

Reply to
Kevin Sundberg