Timing marks on 2.0L automatic 95 Jetta gas

I blew the belt and am in the process of installing new belt on the flywheel mark where is the line on the flywheel supposed to line up? In my instructions it looks to be at the very bottom of the opening.Anyways I set it there lined up my camshaft gear OT mark with the ot mark on plastic guard set rotor to point at #1 mark.Car started but will not remain running at idle sounds ok at higher revs.Any Ideas? Thanks in advance

Reply to
hboersma

take out the #1 spark plug and bring the #1 piston up to TDC. You can use a LONG straw in the hole as you slowly turn the engine over so the straw is at the highest point. You hopefully will find that the mark will be at the bottom of that "window". Take off the distributor cap and make sure the distributor rotor points EXACTLY dead center at the groove in the dist. body. Line up the camshaft sprocket with the mark on the upper timing cover/guard (?)

good luck! later, dave (One out of many daves)

dave AKA vwdoc1

Also be sure #1 is on the compression stroke not on the intake. Sometimes you can just see the intake valve through the pulg hole.

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:xFM8g.25148$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
SFC

You can also take the valve cover off to look at the camshaft positioning and what valve it is opening up. Although that might be a pain on a X-flo.

Reply to
wolfsburgnut

I've tried with the cam in both positions i figuerd it may have been

180deg out but still same results, may have to physically take off valve cover and verify timing marks are correct.thanks for the qiuck response.does anyone know for sure if there is suppose to be a mark on the bell housing to line the crank up with or is the proper spot the bottom of the window?because when i take #1 piston to TDC the flywheel mark is about half way.
Reply to
corona75ca

lol that won't matter if you are timing everything at the same time while installing the new timing belt! ;-) You are now making TDC, of #1, the compression stroke.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks to all who responded sorry for taking so long to give an update.Took valve cover off all good doulble triple check marks tried moving belt one tooth either way still ran rough.Noticed arcing plug wire replaced wires cap,rotor and plugs ran alittle better out of ideas took it into a garage to find out what engine code was coming up ended up being my idle control motor $25CDN later cars running beut. Its always fun trouble shooting when theres multiple problems.NOT Thanks again

Reply to
corona75ca

lol congrats on finding the PROBLEMS! ;-) thanks for updating us too! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1