Timing on VW fox

Hi I have a 1989 VW Fox. I got someone to replace the head gasket, and now the car doesnt have the power it once had. I tried to turn the timing up, but the distributor is already turned one way as far as it can go, so I cant turn the timing up. What do Ii have to do to fix it? Can I just remove the distributor and turn it, or is there a problem with the timing marks not lined up? The motor seems to run smoothly.

Reply to
kevins7

check timing belt first, it is probably off a notch or two then you can remove and reinstall the distributor in a new spot after turning the oil pump shaft

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

What engine? Is the distrb. on the side off the head? If so then it's locked with the cam so you can turn it only a few degrees. Like dave said check the timing belt first..

SFC

"dave AKA vwdoc1" schreef in bericht news:h2mh71$l26$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Reply to
SFC

Probably a 1.8L. Yes, the distributor housing hits the side of the head if turned too far in that direction. Its assumed the guy is talking turning the distributor housing here.

I think Dave means the alignment between the crankshaft and camshaft, as controlled by the timing belt. If good, using a timing light, bounce the timing light off the timing mark on the flywheel. If needed, remove and reinsert the distributor to allow timing light to fall within the flywheel's range, adjust the oil pump shaft to allow this as Dave said. Adjust the distributor housing for finer tuning.

Reply to
Dioclese