timing problems

My 1.8 fox engine gave in. So I bought a 2.0 polo engine that had been change from feulinjection to carburetor. Know I have problems with my timing. hope anyone can help me.

Reply to
spoed

camshaft timing? ignition timing? So you installed the 2.0 engine into the FOX? Are you staying with the carb or going with the fuel injection?

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I am staying with the carb. I had to set the timing faster so that it could start. If the timing is set by a timing lite and you want to start it, it is like the battery is flat.

Reply to
BJ

OK How is the ignition advancing? Are there vacuum controls on the distributor?

I am staying with the carb. I had to set the timing faster so that it could start. If the timing is set by a timing lite and you want to start it, it is like the battery is flat.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

No there is no vacuum controls on the distributor. My old distributor does not fit because the housing and gear is smaller than the polo distributor. I cant find another distributor with vacuum cotrols that does fit.

Reply to
BJ

Well that surely is a problem if the ignition timing can not advance or retard! Engine should run crappy!

How is the spark created? From the distributor Hall Sensor or from the CranKshaft position Sensor (Engine Speed Sensor)? I will assume that you don't have a functioning Knock Sensor either!

No there is no vacuum controls on the distributor. My old distributor does not fit because the housing and gear is smaller than the polo distributor. I cant find another distributor with vacuum cotrols that does fit.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

From Techtonics

103 140 DISTRIBUTOR ADAPTOR BUSHING (2.0L 8V CONVERSION) Adapts non-2.0L distributor housing to 2.0L 8V block.

103 145 DISTRIBUTOR GEAR (2.0L 8V CONVERSION) For installing a 1.6L-1.8L distributor into VW 2.0L ?Tall Block? (ABA) & Audi 80 2.0L (3A) engine. Includes roll pin.

103 146 DISTRIBUTOR ADAPTOR BUSHING & GEAR (2.0L 8V CONVERSION) For installing a 1.6L-1.8L distributor into VW 2.0L ?Tall Block? (ABA) & Audi 80 2.0L (3A) eng>Well that surely is a problem if the ignition timing can not advance or >retard!
Reply to
Jim Behning

.

I have sorted the timing problem. If the revs is at 5 & half thousand the car starts to gerk. As soon as the car goes up a hill it starts to gerk again. Is it the carburettor of the 1.8l carburettor to small for the 2.0l polo. Will it help if I put bigger main jets in to the carburettor.

Reply to
BJ

It might be a fuel related problem now. You did not mention how it runs with the ignition working well nor what you did to fix it! How did you sort out the distributor issues?

Maybe the engine is not receiving enough fuel due to that carb or the fuel getting to the carb. It almost sounds like a low fuel in the bowl condition.

Does this engine have an Oxygen Sensor and controls on the carb? Does the exhaust have any restrictions in it? Is it big enough for the 2.0 engine? I think that VW, at least here in the USA, stuck in a restrictor right after the catalytic converter to probably slow the VW Foxes down some! They did not want the Foxes to beat out the more expensive GTIs from the light! lol