timing - use flywheel or crank pulley ?

1997 Jetta 2.0 , motronic mp9 - non US car. Using vag-com and going into basic setting 01 lifts the engine speed to +- 1500rpm , I then hook up the timing light to cylinder no.1. point the timing light to the hole in the gearbox , I can see the mark on the fly wheel , I then set the mark in the middle of the hole , next I point the light to the crank pulley and the mark is ahead of the notch on the timing cover - which is correct ? Also , does basic setting 01 bring the timing to 0 deg ? reason Im asking is that my timing light has a advance dial on the back of it , do I then set this advance dial to 7 deg. and then line up the marks or do I leave it on 0 deg. and then line up the marks ? if so do I use the flywheel mark or the crank pulley mark ?

last work done on the car: replaced knock sensor , coolant sensor in upper rad hose , manifold vacume / temp sensor. Car WAS driving real bad , huge loss of power and bogging down on acceleration but after the above parts where replaced it is going much , much better now.

just the timing and mixture needs to be sorted out ....then its time for a cam and chip.

Reply to
nobody

Timing is controlled by the ECU so using a light isn't needed. all you got to do is make sure the crank TDC, camshaft, and distributor all line up to the marks.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Unless the flywheel was installed wrong during a clutch job. I found that out doing a timing belt on my A2 golf diesel.

Reply to
Peter Parker

non US car...

I have a 2.0 non US car and meed to adjust timing after changing the Tbelt.

Reply to
Eduardo Kaftanski

Oops!

Reply to