tire recommend needed

OK, I need some new tires for my '02 GTI. I was planning on buying them in another couple months but a flat has pushed this up a bit in terms of timetable. Size is 215/55R16 and I do *not* want another set of the Continental all-seasons the car came with. They have NO traction at all under any conditions and are almost worn out in 30K miles. I'm leaning towards a set of Kumho Ecsta Supras because Michele seems to be happy with them on her Corrado unless someone has a better idea. Price is somewhat important but more important is wet and dry traction. Snow and ice traction is not a big concern, I live near DC and everything shuts down when it snows anyway (and if I *do* need to get somewhere, I'm confident enough in my skills as long as I take it easy.) Long life, or at least longer than 30K miles, would be a nice bonus.

thanks much,

nate

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

I am very happy with my Dunlop SP8000's. I don't think I'm going to get 30k out of them though. We haven't gotten snow in a couple of years here so I can't speak to their snow capabilities but I usually switch on my snow tires if it looks like it's going to snow. The car came stock with continental all season tires and I can't imagine that any tire could be worse than the continental in the snow (or the dry or wet for that matter).

Reply to
John Rutledge

Like John, I've also been happy with some Dunlops. In my case SP Sport 5000. It's an all-season. I like the dry and rain performance it, and they got me through two winters in Boston without any incidents. (They are no comparison to real snow tires, but they are just fine when you take it easy) However, I can't make any real comment regarding mileage expectations, since I've only gone 20K on them. But at 20K they still have plenty of life in them from what I can tell.

However, I have two friends who have switched to Kumhos and are happy, but they are both in a no-snow zone (Houston). From a quick glance at tirerack.com, they could save you a little money.

Good luck working through the imposing array of choices.

Reply to
Champion

One word, "MICHELIN"

Reply to
MbFlash

I understand what you are saying, but have three words in reply:

"I'm poor already!"

nate

MbFlash wrote:

Reply to
Nathan Nagel

B. F. Goodrick tires are much less $$ and rate well. Owned my Michelin, BTW. You can check recommendations and reviews at

Paul in Dayton

Reply to
F&P

Michelin,

I will second the suggestion of going to tirerack for the reviews, and add, while you are there, check out the pricing.

As for tires, are you sure about the Size is 215/55R16?

Allseason, if you live in DC, this is a good idea.

Dunlop SP Sport A2, I have had these on a Saab 900T and a Ford Probe GT (Mazda MX6 w/ 2.5l V6)

Continental ContiExtremeContact, I have heard a lot of good things about these tires, although I have not driven on them.

Summer Only, if you live in DC and buy this type of tire, get a set of snow tires. I managed to get my car stuck on the on ramp of I270, west bound near Frederick, MD last winter. Kuhmo Ecsta 712's, which have been replaced with Dunlop SP5000's.

You might want to see if you can go to a 225/50-16, which is a much more common size.

I have used the Kuhmo Ecsta 712 and wasn't impressed. A friend of mine had the Yokahama EX100's and thought they were much better than the Kuhmos. If you can swing it though, Bridgestone S0-3's are one, if not the best summer tire currently on the market.

Michelin makes some really nice tires, but as you pointed out, they are expensive.

traction at

everything shuts

somewhere, I'm

Long life,