Touareg tires

I have a 2005 Touareg V8 with Continental 275/45/R19 108Y tires. I banged up the passenger tire by hitting a curb. Took a chunk out of the tire. I need to replace this one tire. However, a dealer is saying that I have to replace all 4 tires to keep them in balance or something. There are only 10k miles on these tires. They are incredibly expensive.

Does this seem reasonable. There is plenty of tread on the tires and it seems odd to have to replace all the tires just to fix one of them.

Reply to
jlewis

What you described was the reason for somebody remotely related to sell his Touareg.

~T.

schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Thomas Adams

I have purchased single tires that were damaged by something or other for years, and never had a problem as long as they were properly balanced. So if what that guy says is true, I sure would regret ever buying a Touareg. No car should be that sensitive to matched tires unless it is a 1 million dollar Indy racer.

Reply to
Papa

Hi! maybe there are some weird rules in the U.S. In Germany you wouldn't have this problem. It's always possible to exchange on single tire.

Reply to
Horst Grueninger

i've always been told you should replace tyres in axle pairs. this keeps the tread pettern,depth and the rubber compound the same, which will give you more predictable handling

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

There was an instance where very slightly different sized tires threw off a MB's ABS sensors. I forgot what the symptoms were. The cause was a manufacturing anomaly in one of the tires that put it off by some obscenely insignificant amount.

Reply to
Johann Koenig

I agree. All four is sort of ridiculous but both on one axle makes a lot more sense to me.

If you do, have them save your one good old tire and save it...you never know if/when you might need it again (blowout, etc.).

Reply to
Matt B.

It depends how much wear there is on the other tyres but basically the reasoning is that on a 4x4 it is best to have all 4 wheels/tyres the same diameter. If you have the wheels different diameters then they are turning at different speeds, this can cause problems with the differentials turning at one speed but the wheels turning at different speeds. As to how much of a difference this will make to your car I don't know but potentially you could damage the differentials or at the least increase tyre wear on the smaller wheels/tyres.

Reply to
Homer

but surely the wheels will only be turning the same speed (assuming identical sized tryes) if you are going in a perfectly straigh line? and lets face it, most of the time that isn't going to be happening

Reply to
Nathan Lucas

No, it's not reasonable. There are logical reasons why it is best to replace all four, but common sense says you replace just the one, and then, if you have any problems, you replace the other one on that axle

-- and then, if you still have problems, you replace the remaining two. I'll bet you dimes for donuts that you won't notice any problem at all by simply replacing the one.

After all, are they suggesting that you carry four spare tires? Good grief.

Reply to
Brian Running

"Horst Grueninger" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:djeg89$ktn$05$ snipped-for-privacy@news.t-online.com...

On a VW Touareg? Are you sure about that or are you assuming?

~T.

Reply to
Thomas Adams

Purchase a single replacement tire and have it shaved to a tread depth that matches that of the other tire(s). Tire shaving is a common practice at automotive performance and motorcycle repair shops.

Reply to
Basil

Depends on the amount of wear. Once you get towards the last third of a tire's life it's often best to replace them in pairs on the same axle. Both fronts or both rears. I've never heard of anything ever requiring all four at once. How many miles are on these tires?

Better yet, call the Volkswagen regional office and ask them about tire replacement suggestions. If they've got some cockamamie suggestion about it needing to be all four then they'll probably also have a decent explanation. I doubt it.

If you're only a third into the tire's expected tread life then just replace one.

Reply to
wkearney99

wkearney99 wrote: (...)

This is what Subaru recommends, different wear means slightly faster rotation for wheels with older tires, and the central differential may lock.

No idea if this is true, I just remember reading that.

Reply to
Hans