Touchy 97 Jetta GL Trunk Lock...

My 1997 Jetta GL (automatic) has a touchy trunk lock.

Most likely you're familiar with the way this lock works, but I'll recap for those of you who might need a refresher course.

If the lock itself is aligned vertically then a key should be required to open the trunk (insert key, turn right [clockwise], then push inward to open).

If the lock itself is turned left (from verticle [counter-clockwise]) and the key taken out, then you should be able to open the trunk by simply pressing the lock inward. If the alarm is activated you should not be able to open trunk by pressing button.

Here's my little story of about a year ago, when I first got this car...

I've been driving the car for a couple of weeks, and I'm loving it more and more every day (no problems at all). One day, I get out of the car after driving around and put the key in the driver side door and turn to lock all the doors and activate the alarm. All the doors lock, the LED next to the lock comes on (indicating that the alarm is active), but no little horn bleep eminates from the car (indicating that alarm did NOT activate).

I do some research and find out that this either means that one of the doors is open, or the trunk is open, and the alarm is waiting for you to close them. All four doors are closed tightly, trunk is not open - but I'm a good sport so check the doors; they're fine. So I go check the trunk. The lock is in the verticle position (see above if you're confused). I push on the lock, and *pop* - the trunk opens right up... I'm confused by this, so I shut the trunk and push the lock again - this time there is no *pop*. However, right as I'm about to put my key into the lock the horn on the car bleeps (indicating that the alarm has been turned on).

Fast forward to several months later (now), and this has become a gigantic annoyance.

While I'm thankful that the alarm lets me know when a passerby will be able to simply walk up and get into my trunk with no key - I DON'T WANT IT TO HAPPEN AT ALL!

The only "fix" that I've been able to devise is to open the trunk with a key (even though one isn't required), then jiggle the key in the vertically positioned lock, take the key out, and shut the trunk again. Sometimes this takes two or three tries (once it even took five) - sometimes it works on the first try - sometimes the alarm comes on without a problem.

The part that really bakes my noodle is that the alarm will come on one night when I get home. Then the next day I'll get into the car, drive it five miles, get out, and the alarm won't set. This tells me that the trunk lock is simply hosed, and is becoming 'unlocked' without a key.

Thoughts? Help?

~Mister.Lull

Reply to
Mister.Lull

Update:

If I leave the lock > My 1997 Jetta GL (automatic) has a touchy trunk lock.

Reply to
Mister.Lull