Trans Oil Leak Questions

Got out of the car the other day and was greeted by the unmistakable odor of gear oil, which was definitely coming from under the hood of my car -- there's a leak down there somewhere. So, my questions for the collective wisdom of the group are:

  1. Where do you see oil leaking from the transmission most commonly?

  1. Is it true that you no longer fill the tranny to the edge of the oil-check plug hole and then add an additional amount? The oil should be filled to the edge of the check hole, period?

We're talking about an '01 Jetta with the 2.0L and a 5-speed. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Brian Running

Diff may have come apart and punched a hole in the car. Warranty I presume?

Reply to
Woodchuck