Transmission Problem? 1999 Jetta VR6

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is going on here. The transmission is fairly "jerky" when shifting in normal city driving. After I've been driving on the highway (65+ mph) for 30 or more miles the jerking is really bad. That is, once I get off the highway and onto city streets again, the jerking is really bad. It started doing this a little while after I bought it (about 2.5 yrs. ago) and then my transmission exploded about a year later. After the new transmission was put in, the jerking continues. I told the VW dealer to check it and he said he didn't notice anything (go figure). I can't imagine any car's transmission is supposed to be this way, so does anyone know what the problem is?

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

Which trans fluid is being used? I will ASSuME that this is an automatic. I have read that the VW authorized synthetic helps keep the shifting smoother.

Of course it may not shift "softly" like a plush american car. ;-) A lot of VW auto trans usually let you feel the shifts, at least the ones that I have driven.

Try to test drive another 99 Jetta VR6 to compare.

If you find that an identical Jetta shifts "better" then maybe something can be done with the electronics (ECM or TCM) to modify yours a little.

Reply to
One out of many daves

Get the transmission computer cleared, if you have 60-90K Kms on the transmission it might be time for a fluid flush depending on the driving you do.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

How much would something like that cost?

Reply to
Patrick Bennington

To clear the computer, probably 1/2 hour labour (maybe an hour... never know).

Tranmission fluid is something in the neighbourhood of $20-35 per litre depending on what their markup is, and it needs 10 litres... plus labour (they have to drain it, clean the pan etc...) it was around $400 to have my TDI's transmission fully serviced at 85K Kms, and very much worth it... shifted smoother, and provided me with no problems till I sold the car at

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I went through a similar situation with my 1991 passat, however mine did not expire.

I opened the pan and discovered the fluid was filthy and the filter almost black with an accumulation of sludge.

I removed the valve body and washed out each of the ports the solenoids were installed in, replaced the fluid and installed a new filter.

It has been working fine ever since.

Patrick Benn> How much would something like that cost?

Reply to
ronh