Transporter T4 - Headlight Replacement.

Hello, can anyone help. I'm trying to replace the whole headlight unit on my 2002 T4. The manual (non Haynes) says to remove two bolts and TILT the whole front grill forward.

Removed the two bolts, can see some room to manouver in Tilting forward, but it wont come any further.

Is there an easy way? Am I missing something?

any ideas

thanks..

Reply to
KEVIN MORELAND

I had the same problem when changing to the high output H4 globes. It is possible to take the RHS assy out without undoing the grille. You will scrape a few knuckles tho. If you have to change the battery side, you are in trouble. That is unless someone comes up with the answer. I will watch this thread with interest. Regards Bill

Reply to
Bill Stoney

I have the "long nose" version (VR6 model but the highest output TDI also has this nose as well). On mine you remove the upper grille and corner lamps and then remove the lower grille panel that runs under the headlamps. All of this is just screws and clips (nothing difficult). Once you do that you can get all all four mounting bolts for each headlamp.

On a "short nose" version, not sure of the details but I can't imagine that VW would make them drastically different.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks for that. I've worked it out now with the help from the post's. The front grille and panel below just removes by removing the few screws (5 , which I'd already noticed) and then un clipping from the sides. It was these clips that cause me problems. I didn't realise they were clips. On first appearance they could have been fixings, and I just needed to be sure before I pulled too hard. I've messed things up before by doing that, as I'm sure many have

thanks again..

Reply to
KEVIN MORELAND