Trouble with cold starting

I bought an old 85 VW Polo for my girlfriend to learn to drive in. I've given it an oil change and new sparks, but I have real trouble starting it up from cold. The battery is new, and the starter cranks the engine fine, but I can rarely get it to fire up without connecting jump leads to my car with the engine running to. Once I do this and crank it few seconds it starts. Once started it runs fine. If I stop the engine and start it again its fine for the rest of the day. I got it going last night about 7pm, tried to start it this morning 6am and it just cranks again.

Anybody no what might be up? I've checked the I get a spark from each plug, and all apear fine. Could it still be a fault with the coil not giving a good enough spark. I've checked Petrol is getting to the sparks. It runnigs ok once started, so I'm a bit lost.

Reply to
Sam Bowden

Sound like classic damp start problem. Have you checked the inside of the dizzy cap for moisture? Try wiping it out with a cotton cloth. A can of Damp Start might be a useful investment.

--Steve

Reply to
Tunafish

Reply to
Tom Resi

the first thing you need to do is check the breaker points gap and pop on a new condenser (capacitor) the points are well hidden in these distributors, once you remove the distributor cap, remove the 2 flathead screws inside and remove the plate, the points are behind. if it hasnt been serviced or maintained for a while the chances are the points will need replacing too, they are cheap to buy as is the condenser, so treat your girlfriend....in fact wrap them both up and give them to her for christmas...she will love you forever...........

Reply to
steve

Wait a minute... is this just a general problem that you-all have there on the island across the pond? Have we stood here pointing fingers and laughing at you-all, your cars and your beloved Lucas, Prince of Darkness?

--TW If you don't see the humour, don't open your mouth.

Reply to
Tundra Wookie

Something is below par, and as others have suggested, get a new set of plug leads, and new distributor cap, points, condenser and rotor, sometime soon. For immediate relief, a good clean up and a can of WD40 or other moisture displacement spray, over the outside assembled parts will work wonders. DO NOT use the stuff labled "Damp Start" from Holts. This is a liquid plastic in effect, needs scrupulous cleanliness before using, but it always cracks up and moisture finds its way underneath, and makes the problems worse. There may well be moisture displacement sprays called "Damp start" in other countries, but not in the UK. The Holts stuff is badly named! A occaisional squirt of WD40 is the best regular maintainance.

Reply to
Laurence D'Auvin

Be careful changing the condensor as a matter of course; the original ones are probably of better quality than the replacements now available. Otherwise I agree fully with other posts.

Oh, and I'm sure I too would have a Lucas fridge if I liked beer at room temp. Like the average American, I too have no taste for warm beer (or is that no taste at all?). ;-)

Reply to
Dave Hall