Turn signal/blinker clicking problem

I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8T. When I use the turn signal, everything seems to work properly, lights flash corrently, clicking is normal, etc. However, when the turn signal stops, the clicking sound continues for about 10-30 more clicks at a completely irregular and very fast pace. This happens witht he turn signal lever in the neutral/off position.

I have taken the car in for the recent recall of the "HAZARD FLASHER SWITCH/RELAY KIT" but the problem continues. The dealer says that they can fix the problem for $350.

Any suggestions on what the problem is and if it can be simply fixed with a Bentley manual and some time?

Thanks!

Reply to
pete.blair

Did you ask the dealer what parts you get for 350?

Reply to
Lost In Space

Hi, I have the same clicking problem with my 2001 GTI. I also had the hazard switch replaced under the recall but mine was happening before that.From what I've heard the continuous clicking is supposed to be a bulb that is either burnt out or on its way out. I have checked a few of mine and the 2 front side marker lights have quite a bit of scoring (burns) on the contacts but none were burnt out. I'm going to try and replace them this weekend and see if that helps...I really don't want to have to check every exterior light on the car but I might have to.

Reply to
HS

Now word on what they give you. $100 gets them to diagnose the problem and then it was estimated another 250 to fix it.

Usually a bulb burnt out bulb will just make the turn signal click twice as fast as normal, but will still shut off properly. I have also heard that this could be a grounding problem when some of the wires either melt together or are somehow otherwise touching. Not really sure though.

Right now I am just waiting until it never stops clicking before I replace it. Hopefully by then I can find out what the problem is and fix it myself.

Reply to
pete.blair

Relay switch? I had that problem with my Passat. It took many visits to get it diagnosed and fixed....

Reply to
Jean B.