Turn signal problems

1992 Jetta TD

When making a left turn at the traffic lights, I engage the left turn signal with the turn signal control arm, the green LED on the dash flickers for 2-3 times and the left turn signal front/rear lights come on OK. But after that the LED in the dash stays on continuously and the left turn signal lights in the front/rear go off. Even after switching off/on the left turn signal, the LED always comes on as continuous rather than flickering with no turn signal lights. The right turn signal works OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Amit.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

I don't know about the 92's but I would look at three things.

The lights themselves: Switch the left and rights and see if the problem also moves or goes away.

The contacts: Clean the contacts on the lamps and in the sockets. Use a pencil eraser.

The flasher unit: If the above does not help, try replacing the flasher unit.

The only other thing I that should come into play would be a wring problem, and unless you have a sensitive multi-tester and know how to use it, you are going to have to have someone handle that for you. Heck, the way they are building them today, changing bulbs can be a real challenge.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks Joe, I switched the left and right bulbs and the problem has gone away, at least for now :-)

Cheers,

Amit.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Good one, Joseph!

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I just went through the same thing. Drove me nuts (not that it was very far). The contacts on one had just enough corrosion to increase the resistance enough to cause a problem making the flasher think a bulb was out.

You may want to carefully clean those contacts on the bulb and the socket if the problem returns.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Similarly, on my '84 Scirocco I was fighting a "quick blinking" problem for about a year, checked and double checked everything, then finally swiped a flasher from a friend's parts car and the problem went away. (I was really suspecting a glitch in my DIY turn signal switch repair, I had to make the self cancel thing work again to pass inspection, but I couldn't find a "bent handle" switch assembly with cruise anywhere to save my life.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel