Turn Signal Relay/Flasher ??

Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced the bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher relay Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please help,Thanks,George

Reply to
George Nikolovski

Above the fuses you might find the relay especially if it is clicking. ;-) Still sounds like the bulbs to me though. Oh and I am not sure if your VW likes Stant relays. 8^o

good luck! later, dave

Reply to
dave

How does the brightness of the front left compare to the front right? The problem bulb could be in front.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

I just spent three months finding the source of a like problem on my

2002 NB.

The fast flash is a good indication of some high resistance on the circuit. It can be a lamp out (front, side or rear) or a high resistance contact-connection. Remove each lamp on the circuit and clean the contacts on the lamp and the socket. An ideal tool for this is an eraser. For good measure, get some of the special dielectric lube used for electrical contacts and use it.

In the end, I found the problem was the plug where the front lamp assembly plugged into the wiring harness. It was frustrating because I kept trying things and occasionally it would appear fixed, for a few days. Of course removing the lamp housing to check the lamp and socket would pull on that plug and move it just enough to get it to work for a few days.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

YOu need to check all teh bulbs in the turn signal circuit, and if that doesnt fix it, you need to check the bulbs sockets/wiring for corrosion causing a short. If the flasher are working for one side correctly, it cant be teh flasher relay itself.

Reply to
Biz

I don't know about the 97 flasher, but it would appear that the 2002 flasher can be defective in a way to cause the problem. Of course in my case after buying one and replacing the original, I found out that it was not defective, I had just missed a high resistance in line plug connection. I now have a spare flasher for my car.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
bill