ugh...rattle rattle

Hey Everyone...

I was out and about tonight in my Jetta (1990 GLI 8 Valve Digi) and while driving through a tunnel with the windows down, I heard this strange rattling coming from the engine...it seems to vary with the speed and sounds like something is scraping...I am wondering if it might be the air conditioner compressor...because my A/C hasn't worked for a year, and I haven't made any sort of effort to fix it. If the oil had been lost from the compressor, would it be making a grinding/growling sound when the engine is running?

Aside from removing the air conditioning system entirely, what can I do if it is the compressor that is grinding?

Am I doing any damage to the vehicle (aside from the air conditioner) if I continue to drive the car like this?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Cressman