Uneven brake wear

Hi, on my 89 Jetta CL....

I have a very bad uneven brake wear problem... (Front disc, rear drum)

On the left wheel, the outter brake pad has about less than 1mm left, while the inner has about 6mm. On the right wheel, the outter and inner both has about 6~7mm left.

I had to replace them all (because they're sold in sets).

I can understand why one wheel has more wear than the other, but how come on a particular wheel, the 2 pads have uneven wear?

Suspects:

- Bad brake material

- disc bad

- piston problem

- simply that cap screws holding the caliper needs some attention.

On a related problem, when I press down on the brake (at still, with engine off), I can hear a squeak sound from that particular wheel ... sounds like the piston is rubbing against something. Is this why there's a squeak? How do I cure this?

David

Reply to
David Lo

Either a frozen caliper or your sliders a frozen.

Reply to
Mustangbrad

Worn bearing? On my '94 I had a similar problem, but my inner pad was worn to nothing while the outer was near mint. Had to do both front brakes, (rotors, pads), still trying to decide whether I want to try the bearings myself.

Reply to
MK