Update A3 Clutch Woodchuck Dave et al

I never opened up the TO bearing access. What I did was add 3 rubber washers below the clutch cable auto-adjuster. This confirmed that the actuation finger on top of the TO bearing must have shifted in the spline. I am now able to shift gears normally. Clutch never slipped so that gave me the idea of the rubber washer trick.

Next question. The clutch cable auto-adjuster looks okay but I was wondering if these things ever break and don't adjust after a while.

I'm still going to get the tranny properly repaired and I will give an update to what I had to replace if I remember.

Reply to
Peter Parker

none2u

Pull up on the clutch lever on the trans and see if it comes almost all the way to the top or just stops horizontal to the ground. Post results.

Also I have seen the A2s break pedal brackets which allows the pedals to shift to the left when you press the clutch pedal down. I have not seen this on the A3s.

Hey if the spacers work...................very good! ;-)

n>> I never opened up the TO bearing access. What I did was add 3 rubber >> washers

Reply to
one out of many daves

Hi none2u. It's been a while. ;) That was my first inclination. However, I inspected the auto adjust and it just appears to have limits to it's range. The auto adjust housing moves freely up so I was able to add the washers. I would think it has limitations. Agree there. Originally the lever with a new clutch would be at the 7:30 to 8 oclock range. IIRC.

Reply to
Peter Parker

The level is at the 9 oclock position and that is where it sits. Just horizontal to the ground. I can't move it up without the clutch pedel. The lever looks okay.

Reply to
Peter Parker