upgraded stereo in 2003 Passat GLS

I just upgraded the stereo in my '03 Passat GLS.

I got a kit from Crutchfield for $60, which came with a couple of keys needed to remove the factory Monsoon stereo, a harness, antenna adapter and a pocket (DIN size). Overall, everything was pretty straight forward, except I had to fiddle with the wires - there is not much room back there...

I've installed a European version of a Sony CD Receiver (with RDS EON etc) and I also hooked up a Sony 10 disk CD-changer placed in the trunk. The receiver recognizes the US radio station names (provided that they transmit RDS signal), but features like TA and AF obviously don't work, but the automatic clock setting amazingly works! PTY don't really match, but who cares.

I didn't take out the factory Monsoon amplifier which takes speaker level inputs, but hooked up the new receiver to it. Everything sounds really good - better than the original!

I'm quite surprised that some features that the aftermarket guys have been doing for years, have never became a OEM standard: ESP (electronic shock protection) is such a simple concept, CD-TEXT is another one. Yet, I don't know of any manufacturer that offers it as OEM.

So, now I have an almost new factory premium receiver unit for sale. If any one is interested in buying it from me, please send me an email (drop the '_nospam' from the email address).

-Paul

Reply to
Paul